Friday, December 11, 2009

SNOW DAY

There's a blizzard in Iowa. Ten inches of snow with 30 mph winds.

And the temperature is dropping like a ROCK...


BAM. THE ELECTRICITY WENT OUT. Suddenly, we were scrambling for candles, flashlights, batteries. I couldn't do ANYTHING I NEEDED TO DO. I couldn't cook, take a shower, walk on my treadmill, sew, vacuum, wash dishes, do laundry, clean my basement...

Of course -- those are all things I chose NOT TO DO for the last three days -- when I actually DID have power in the house.

By 4:30 in the afternoon -- the house was completely dark, and getting cold really quick. I can't watch television, or listen to my new Susan Boyle CD, I can't make a cup of coffee or do any sewing. I can't get online. I can't work on my jigsaw puzzle. I can't cook -- not so much as a piece of toast. I can't even read a book...

Who knew electricity was so important in my life? I never give it even a single moment of thought, y'know? This black out day has given me a new perspective. It made me wonder how many other things in my life I completely take for granted?

No comments:

Post a Comment