Sunday, December 13, 2009

I AM GRATEFUL

The electrical blackout made me realize how important electricity was to my happiness -- and how it's one of those things you only think about if you DO NOT HAVE IT. The six-hour blackout made me think about the other things I take for granted.

My house, located in a quiet cornfield in this very free United States of America, has indoor plumbing, a dishwasher, central air conditioning and a screened-in porch with 80 hummingbirds. We never think about the quality of the air we breath or the free water we drink. We never worry about bombs dropping or other states trying to invade us...

Inside my house, I have such bounty. This computer, 400-thread count sheets, the internet, three television sets hooked up to CABLE television -- HGTV, Paula Deen, the Real Housewives of New York City, well --

Parked in front of my house is a paid-for reliable car that has a button that will spritz cleaning solution on my dirty windshield. (that's about the best thing you can say about a 2003 Taurus). No matter what direction I drive -- there is a wonderful highway system...and a state crew that comes to PLOW THE SNOW...

I could drive that car to a grocery store where I can buy things like sliced bread and fresh fruit -- any time of the year. That store has microwave popcorn, Safeguard soap, a year-round supply of bananas, disposable diapers and already prepared meals. And it's open 24 hours a day...

Oh, yeah -- I AM GRATEFUL....

We had about one hour of daylight left when the power went off the other day. In that time, John gathered up the candles, the flashlights, and his supply of EXTRA batteries. That morning he made sure we had a bathtub full of water (to flush the toilet). He brought in exra firewood, and put out extra food and warm water for his cats.



We heat our house with wood -- this is what the wood pile looks like right now! Behind there -- you can just barely see my clothesline. I won't be hanging my sheets outside this week...
Anyway -- even though John NEVER reads this blog -- I wanted to say how much I appreciate him. I realize he is the electricity in my life...and I'm going to make an extra effort to let him know -- OH YEAH -- I AM GRATEFUL...

No comments:

Post a Comment