Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Popovers

OKAY -- here's my BRAND NEW MISSION. During my visit to Chicago with my friend Marion -- we stayed at the luxurious James hotel. OH MY GOD. What a great location -- the very best part was the fabulous restaurant where we ate breakfast every morning. AND during our last night in the city -- we had an amazing steak dinner there. The waiter brought "POPOVERS" to our table. Yep. I died and went to heaven. I have never eaten a popover. It came to the table steaming hot, in it's own little metal pot...it was the most delicious thing I ever ate...And the minute I got back to Iowa -- learning how to make the perfect popover became my NEW MISSION...

Of course, I emailed Pat Leslie, the best cook I know -- and she promptly sent me two different recipes. Then, I watched some videos on YouTube...Yep. This will be easy...
Then, I searched for the perfect pan...hummm...


I made the thin batter...mostly, flour, milk, eggs...noooo problem...



Into a 450 degree oven for the first 20 minutes....I AM SO EXCITED...


NOPE. As you can see -- my popovers DID NOT POP. The ones in the muffin tin didn't rise at all. And the four in the mugs, although I filled them 2/3 full, only came to the top of the mug itself. Definitely no pop "OVER"....

The inside of the popovers are supposed to be ONE BIG AIRY BUBBLE...hummm...as you an see, my popover looks more like a dense muffin...

So -- I'm going to try again. Maybe I really DO need that specialty pan...and I'm going to make sure all my ingredients are at room temperature next time...I'll keep you posted.

ANY SUGGESTIONS??

P.S. -- please read on -- I wrote TWO posts today -- and the next one I'm asking a favor...

3 comments:

  1. hey rita! sorry your popovers didn't "pop" - glad I'm in a sewing challenge and not a cooking challenge! I'd hate for everyone to see my try at popovers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rita!!
    Unfortunately yes, you do need the special popover pan. I used to make popovers when I was young, in regular cupcake pans, and they were marvelous. Then suddenly, it never worked again (and believe me, I tried a million times over the years!), so I bought the popover pan, and voila, perfect popovers every time! Well worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, can't help with recipe.
    But, those mugs you used are almost exactly like mine! Too funny! My kitchen is yellow & blue with white daisies. And, my dishes have a pattern almost like those mugs.

    ReplyDelete