Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Dad's Army Potatoes

My Summer Breakfast Club girls (formerly known as book clubbers) were coming out for breakfast on the porch -- and a tour of Lillian's new room. It was a STUNNING day...the hummingbirds were excited about getting company...I set the table with some fun plastic summer dishes and Aunt Rozella's silver...



Then, I realized that I had pants that MATCHED MY DISHES!! I love that I got a picture of Sandy taking my picture -- hey -- it doesn't take much to make amuse us!


The menu was:

Ham & cheese quiche (with pesto sauce)
Skinny bagels
Army Potatoes
Cherry Coffee cake
Coffee...

Making a quiche is the easiest thing in the world. The only hard part is letting it REST after you get it out of the oven.

But -- GOOD CRISPY POTATOES is kind of tricky...and these are my favorites. In our family, we call them "Army Potatoes" because it's the one dish our Dad made...and he learned how to do it in the Army..

It's more of a technique than a recipe...

Scrub the potatoes and slice thin. Then, soak for at least an hour in salted ice water...Drain and pat dry...



Lay the potatoes on a big cookie sheet..I like them to overlap a bit -- like a deck of cards...

Dot with lots of butter. (okay -- full disclosure -- I use most of a stick)...

Bake at 400 degrees for 40-50 min. The bottom of the potatoes will be very crisp. At that point, I turn on the broiler to crisp the TOP of the potatoes.


Oh, yeah -- they TASTE as good as they look!! Really...if I had the time -- I'd do an ENTIRE COOKBOOK with nothing but potato recipes...

No comments:

Post a Comment