Friday, August 13, 2021

What We Choose to Keep

So, the most recent chapter in THE GREAT DOWNSIZING was all about my jewelry. I was delighted to have Lilly here for a few hours to help me go through all of it. And there was A LOT...

Like so many other things in my life this year -- I was SHOCKED by how much I had accumulated.  Yikes.  But, I was surprised by how easy it was for me to part with 80% of it.  And I'm not kidding...

Every drawer of my jewelry chest was jam-packed with jewelry.  Lilly eagerly brought each drawer out to the puzzle table, where we dumped everything out...and made four piles:  What I want to KEEP.  What Lilly wants to KEEP.  What will go to the auction.  What will go to the Goodwill...

This post is about WHAT I WANTED TO KEEP...The really cool thing was that I got to tell Lilly the stories behind every piece I'm choosing to keep.
This peacock pin is all about my Mom. Dad had actual peacocks, and Mom had a plastic peacock wall hanging (which I'm also keeping) -- and she always had a bouquet of peacock feathers in the house. this pin came from an estate sale...but it reminds me of my mother.

I won a trip to Portugal when I was selling Viking sewing machines. Mom went with me -- and we saw butterflies every day. I bought this pin in Lisbon, Portugal -- the year I turned 40.

This fabulous blue stone necklace has a very unique system of making it longer or shorter.  And it looks great with a turtleneck.  I'm keeping it just in case I ever want to wear a turtleneck again...

These two pieces came from the International Quilt Market in Houston, Texas. The blue broach is made from my good china -- "Coaching Scenes". The red necklace is crocheted wire, with vintage buttons. I bought it from a California artist who always set up at Market...and I paid $175.00. The most I EVER paid for a piece of jewelry.

This bit of whimsey was a gift from Rhonda -- and it is shocking how many times it has proven to be JUST THE RIGHT touch for an outfit. And it is the piece of jewelry that gets the MOST COMMENTS every time I wear it.

20 years ago -- I bought this Phantom-of-the-Opera necklace from a street vendor in New York City. I have worn it many, many times. I consider it my "theater" necklace.

This piece is also crocheted wire -- from the same California artist. I paid $225.00 for it...

This zebra necklace has articulated legs!! I bought it at a thrift store, while spending an Iowa City day with my young friend Anne. I think I'll hang it on the wall in our new place...

Lilly and I went through bushel of jewelry. She kept a BIG PILE OF STUFF, we organized and labeled many things to be sold at the auction, and there was still a shoebox full to be sent to the Goodwill store.

Lilly is 12 years old.  I was delighted she was here for my jewelry sort-down -- but I don't think she has any intention of wearing jewelry at this point in her life.  So I put all of her "selections" into a vintage train case (remember those?).  I'll take it with me to our new place, and I think it will have a place of honor in the walk-in closet.  Lilly will be able to visit her jewelry any time...and when she's ready -- it will be, too.

And I hope she remembers the stories...

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for mini pompoms & fringe! I'm delighted you are keeping the colorful necklace. If I remember right, I gave it to you during our QM trip in Portland. Love your other memorable jewelry too. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, you have really downsized. Something I need to do. Wish I had a Lily to help sort stuff. Sure would make the process more fun. I love what you have selected to keep and the reasons why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful, to share this with Lilly, and tell her the stories (and that she wanted to hear them!). Yes, I'm guessing she will remember....

    I love your butterfly pin (I have several different ones myself), but at this point I think my favorite piece is the zebra! He definitely deserves a place of honor on your wall--and you can always take him down and wear him when you want to!

    ReplyDelete