Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Bra Modification

So -- remember those new bras?  The good news is they fit GREAT.

The bad news is that the hooks on the back are annoying. They don't exactly dig into my skin...it's more like an irritating little poke...

I am delighted to have four new bras to put into rotation...and they are SO CLOSE TO PERFECT.

But, if I use the very last row of eyes...I get the annoying that annoying poke.


I need some extra backing in that spot, so I cut and folded a piece of gray knit fabric.


Then, I sewed the piece of gray knit under the eye part of the bra.

Now, when I fasten the hooks and eyes, the gray knit provides a buffer between my skin and the hooks.

This was a simple five minute fix...but made all the difference. As I was doing it, I thought about all the other bra/swimsuit modifications I've made over the years. 

The #1 fix for me has always been to remove any underwire. They never work for me. 

There were some bras that fit fine, but they were too tight (At one point in my life,  I accidentally gained 100 pounds)...so I cut off the hook end, added a 2" extender, then re-sewed the hook portion to the NEW end.  Easy peasey...

Another common mistake designers make with bras for big girls is that the sides are too high.  So, after a couple of hours, I have a painful rubbing under my flabby arm.  I cut the sides down about 1/2 inch...then, use a strip of t-shirt fabric to make a new softer edge. 

WHAT DO PEOPLE DO WHO DO NOT SEW??   Honestly...I cannot imagine.

Yes.  Sewing is my Super Power...

2 comments:

  1. Terrific fix on your new bras, Rita!

    I have Really Narrow shoulders, so I usually look for bras with straps that are Sewn Onto the band in back--then I take out the stitching and move the straps in towards the middle by about an inch. Instant relief from slipping-down-your-arms! Unfortunately, the last batch I got aren't made that way--the strap elastic edges the back band and then leaves it and heads north to become straps. Ugh. I am Always pulling up my straps! Hope I remember better next time I shop for bras!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wondered that myself so many times! Just this weekend I was wanting a very lightweight blanket to take with me to my acupuncture appointments. It is not cold in the room but the breeze from the overhead fan sometimes makes me twitch. Twitching with needles can be uncomfortable. So when I found a piece of lightweight gauze fabric I immediately knew it was my answer. It has now been serged and is in a zip top bag in my car ready for my next appointment. Who knows if I'd have been able to find such a thing at the market?!

    ReplyDelete