Monday, August 2, 2021

Last Week's Highlight...

Well, my aprons-in-exchange-for-lodging scheme didn't work out. Dammit.

John didn't bring it up today -- so either he's forgotten about moving back to Pennsylvania...or he's planning his escape...

Time will tell, eh?

In the meantime...we'll just soldier on. You know my strategy of having something to look forward to every day. Monday is cleaning...Tuesday is TMBC...well, you know how it goes.

Last Friday, we had a surprise birthday party to attend. The TMBC was making lunch for our mutual Aunt Adda. She is 92 years old, sharp as a tack, and last week was on a ladder washing her windows.

I often tell my cousins -- That there is some REALLY GOOD GENETIC MATERIAL...

My contribution was to make the sloppy joe's. Jackie made cheesy hashbrowns, LP sent a broccoli salad and Sandy made a fruit salad.

I'm not sure Aunt Adda was all that surprised -- but we had a nice time planning her party. John didn't want to go -- but two of his favorite guys were there. Don and Karl -- who are always willing to talk about submarines with him.

Unfortunately, John was pouting...and refusing to eat....

Linda, Jackie and their mother -- my Aunt Adda.

The rest of us enjoyed the lunch -- and a DELICIOUS lemon bundt cake.


Here's the thing. It really does suck to be John. And sometimes,  refusing to eat is the only thing he is actually in control of. And I've gotta be okay with that. 

Anyway -- I had a nice time.  And OF COURSE I gave Aunt Adda a set of vintage cotton sheets with a fancy scalloped, embroidered hem.  Unfortunately, I realized I sent the matching pillowcases off to the Art of Homemaking auction last week.

But I assured her, when they get around to cataloging all those linens, I'll be able to take a final look -- and I'll pull those cases off the auction, so eventually, she WILL have the complete set.

3 comments:

  1. My goodness, 92 and on a LADDER?! I'm 75, and *I* don't get on ladders, unless they are just 2 or possibly 3 steps....and then I am very Very careful. Osteoporosis isn't something you fool around with. (Thus far my only broken bones have been the tiny kind, plus one cracked rib.) And yes, you do have some Great genetic material there!!!

    The party looked lovely, and I'm sure Aunt Adda was so pleased with her sheets (and coming pillowcases). What a special gift!

    You know you're right about John and his eating. And as long as he's still eating Most of the time, and getting adequate nutrition, it's okay that he pouts and refuses to eat occasionally. You have a terrific attitude about that, Rita, but I know, sometimes we have to remind ourselves....it's part of the disease, it's okay....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I certainly would not have been able to resist sloppy Joe's, cheesy hashbrowns, etc, no matter how grumpy I felt. I would have never guessed your Aunt was 92! She looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete