Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Pants Reno Tutorial

 The tan pants I bought were too big. Lucky for me -- I KNOW HOW TO SEW.

I've blogged a "pant tutorial" before...but this time, I took some good pictures. And, hey -- I do this so often, I might have learned something new.

The pants were brand new -- with tags. That wonderful stretch denim I love...and they were only $3.


But, they were too big. So, the first adjustment was to simply sew a new inseam. I basted a new 1/2" seam in place (BEFORE I cut away the excess fabric). Tip: Start at the crotch, and sew the left leg -- then, go back to the crotch area and sew the right leg. After the new seam is in place -- cut away the extra fabric. THEN, I serge the new seam.
These pants were also about 2 inches too long...
I cut away the hemmed edge.  Then, cut away 1/2 inch of fabric. (when I sew the hemmed edge BACK on the pants, it will take up another inch).
These pants were also too loose around the waist. So, I did my trusty old elastic waistband hack. Using a seam ripper, I sliced a one inch opening on the INSIDE of the pants -- at both sides of the waistband.
I pulled the elastic through, from one side to another, and sewed each end to hold it in place.
I didn't measure the elastic...I just pulled it until there was a nice gather to the back waistband.
The final step was to steam the new hem..then, I decided to topstitch.

As I'm writing this post, it sounds like a lot of work. And I know many of you HATE altering things. But, as a fat girl living in a skinny world, it has always been part of my life. And, at this point -- it's actually kind of relaxing for me...and, when you take this pants redo step-by-step -- each little job takes less than 10 minutes...and -- hey --

I'VE GOT THE TIME..!!.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial, Rita!! I especially love the back elastic idea. Sadly, at the moment, I don't Need to take anything in at the waist. But if I ever get skinny again...!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete