Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Summer, Birthdays, and Special FOOD

Last week was not good for my WW journey...ugh.... 

Thursday was Calvin's birthday -- and I always make a big Porterhouse Steak dinner for him...

Luckily, Ross was able to join us this year -- so he took a few pictures.


Jeanne and Calvin have been such a tremendous help with John -- no amount of steak dinners could ever repay their kindness.

Then -- Saturday, we had the big neighborhood cookout to attend. Because I had 6 ears of cooked sweet corn leftover from Calvin's birthday dinner, I looked online for recipes that used sweet corn.

Here it is:

3 cups of cold sweet corn (cut off the cob)

12 ounces of bacon (cooked crisp, then chopped)

3 green onions (chopped fine)

1 cup of shredded Mexican cheese 

RANCH DRESSING....to bind everything together.

WOW. They weren't kidding. The call it "Corn Crack Salad"....and it was SOOO GOOD. 

This is a picture from the internet -- because I forgot to take a picture of my Corn Crack Salad!

Also, in the spirit of "downsizing" -- when I was packing up my two side dishes -- I carefully selected two serving bowls, along with two long-handled serving spoons....which I DON'T WANT BACK. 

One of the bowls was a pansy dish that came from my Grandma Dodds. 

It's past time to pass some of this stuff along to the next generation!! 

WHETHER THEY WANT IT OR NOT!!

2 comments:

  1. Friends like Calvin and Jeanne deserve to be celebrated--and you have to celebrate (at least a little) with them!!

    And then that neighborhood cookout--a special one as it may be your last before you move (whenever that happens)--needs to be celebrated.

    Let me tell you, Rita, I have written down that recipe!! It sounds fabulous!! And I can cut it in thirds for the two of us, or make the quantity you give for the next church potluck. It sounds like a winner to me!

    As to WW....there's always tomorrow, right?! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS, Charlotte! I think it's delicious -- and you can add just about anything you'd like. I added some fresh parsley and sliced green olives this time. Fresh basil is wonderful (but I didn't have any). ENJOY.

      Delete