Monday, August 9, 2021

An Iowa Summer Cook-Out Extravaganza!!

So, this weekend, we were invited to a big summer cook-out at my nephew's house. Toby was hosting a surprise 90th birthday party for his Grandma Dorla.
He cooked 20 pounds of fish!!
And the amount of side dishes was AMAZING...
The number of cars should have been a clue to the amount of food required, eh?
This is the birthday girl....blowing out her cupcake candles...
The food was DELICIOUS...

 

It was a beautiful summer day -- with about 20 kids playing a pick-up game of baseball in the back yard.  John had a very nice time at the picnic -- even though he didn't know anybody.  As my sister and their husbands, and my various nieces and nephews, GRAND nieces and nephews, and neighbors came over and said, "Hi, Uncle John"..."Hi, Uncle John"..."Hi, Uncle John"..."Hi, Uncle John"..."Hi, Uncle John"...

John smiled every time...and kept saying the same thing, "I can't believe all these people know me..." 

Calvin's unsuspecting new neighbor, Tad, asked about John's cap (he has at least a dozen submarine hats)...and got trapped into a very (very) long conversation with John about submarines...(altho John can't remember what year he served, etc.).  

John had a great time -- which freed me up to visit with my nieces....

I felt a little guilty about Tad...but, hey -- I can't save everybody....

Tomorrow -- I'll tell you about the WONDERFUL NEW SIDE DISH I took to the picnic... 


2 comments:

  1. Hey, everyone is required to listen to an old guy's long, historical stories at least once in their life. The stories are usually interesting and the old guy loves the attention. My dad loved to tell travel stories that I heard repeated many times, and I miss him and his stories every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was a wonderful day for everyone, and you had a chance to catch up with family. Win-win!!

    ReplyDelete