Friday, August 27, 2021

Criss Cross Apron Extravaganza

This is about Mary Mulari's Criss Cross Apron. Again....You know I believe this is absolutely the BEST apron pattern of all time.

Mary Mulari's Criss Cross Apron pattern, .

And I honestly do not know how many of these suckers I've made now.  I gave one to Grandma Dorla for her 90th birthday party, one for my MDF friend Sandy, and her daughter Melissa and for my sisters Deena and Ronda...cousin Julie, SIL Maureen...well -- you get the idea.  I LOVE THIS PATTERN.

BUT -- I sent one to my sister-in-law (Maureen) -- and she asked me to make her two more. 

NO PROBLEM.

I've actually decided to make TEN of these aprons...using up my fabulous fabric stash....(there's a reason -- which will be revealed in the future).... 

 
Sandy is modeling a linen apron I made out of a thrift store chair cover. It has one large pocket at the top of the apron -- and an angled pocket on the right side. (having TWO side pockets is at least twice as much work).

Linda is modeling an apron I made out of some fabric remnants (50 cents a pound) I found last week during my Anne-and-I-on-a-treasure-hunt. The pockets were from a wonderful charm pack (5" squares of fabric). I need some close-up photos...

Jackie is modeling an apron I made from a Marimekko tea towel. (by Target). I had to add some fabric for the side and bottom...but I LOVE the way it turned out.


Jackie's apron DID have two side pockets -- but they were different sizes...deliberately meant to NOT match.




I LOVE MAKING these aprons.  Mary's pattern is meant to be reversible -- but I'm just doing one layer, then I serge around the entire apron, and turn the edge for a 1/2" hem. You can do it all in ONE FELL SWOOP around. (is that a real phrase? You know what I mean.)


I bragged that "I can make one of Mary's aprons in eleven minutes"...But that was just bravado. The thing is -- maybe I could do that -- IF THERE WERE NO POCKETS.

But, an apron without pockets is like a sundae without chocolate sauce...

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful and fun aprons, Rita! Love the Marimekko one, especially. And, yes, aprons DO need pockets!

    ReplyDelete