Saturday, February 1, 2020

Rita Writes...

I DID NOT DIE. I repeat. I DID NOT DIE...

But, several things have been banging around in my head lately. First of all -- putting together the Art of Homemaking Exhibit -- and the wonderful FRIENDSHIP Quilt.

My friend Anne did a LOT OF RESEARCH about the names on that quilt...I mean -- SHE'S LEARNED SO MUCH...but, part of that research involved many, many dreadful obituaries.

Rhonda and I, right after hanging the Art of Homemaking Exhibit...
At some point, Rhonda said to me, "so many of those obituaries sound the same. Maybe people should write their own obituary..."

Frankly -- to me -- that sounded like a WONDERFUL WRITING PROMPT....
If I was writing my own obituary -- it would include pictures!!
I was born in 1949 and grew up on a farm near McCausland, Iowa. I had one brother and four sisters. Glenn Little (Dad) was a WWII veteran who NEVER talked about the war. Mom (Joyce) was a full time homemaker when that was really all she was allowed to do.

I came of age during the tumultuous 60’s, and I believed we would change the world. But, just in case that plan didn’t work out -- Dad insisted I take secretarial classes (so I would have a skill to fall back on). Being able to type 100 wpm meant I was always able to find a good job. That, coupled with my Midwestern work ethic prevented me from becoming a full-fledged hippie.

Although I can’t remember why I dropped out of Wartburg College -- I was hired by the CIA and moved to Washington, D.C. Even though I answered NO to the very important “did you ever smoke pot” lie detector question, they fired me when I said YES to "did you ever attend a peace rally".  But they gave me a cover story and continued to pay me until I found another job. (I took my time...)

John and I met in D.C. -- he was just getting out of the Navy. We married in October 1970. Ross was born in 1977...Elliott was born in 1981. I loved living in Iowa and raising my boys. I hope they remember Little League baseball games, making cardboard castles, building sky-beds -- and growing up in a house with a wild paint job.

Despite our very different outlooks on life -- John and I were married for over (TBD) years. I don’t know who was more amazed by that...me or John. He always told me, “when you meet somebody for the first time, you assume they are your friend. And you are often disappointed. When I meet somebody, I assume they are an asshole, and I let them work their way up.”

John was an electrician at Deere Co for 30 years, and because he went to work every single day to a job he pretty much hated -- I was able to work at jobs I mostly loved.

I opened a fabric store. As it turned out, I was better at writing than I was at running a retail store. I wrote two books and, thanks to my friend Mary Mulari, became a speaker on the “sewing circuit”.


Mary introduced me to Joanne Ross, and the Sewing and Stitchery Expo in Puyallup, Washington became my second home. Joanne suggested Mary and I do something together, so we became “The Midwest Ya Ya Sisters” and we were freaking hilarious!! (if not humble).
Looking back at my life, the thing I am most proud of is Grandma Camp. I was an A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. grandmother to Lilly and Warren. We ate bacon every Saturday morning, and went on adventures in planes, trains and automobiles. I took them to Chicago and New York City. We were regulars at four different libraries; we went swimming, we talked, we cooked, laughed, crafted, made snow angels, watched movies and ate popcorn every Friday night. I loved those kids to the Moon and Back...and I want them to know that every minute I spent doing Grandma Camp added an extra hour of good health to my happy long life.



To my people. John, Ross, Elliott, Emily, Lilly, Warren, Calvin, Ronda, Debbie, Deena, my cousins, TMBC and all my wonderful friends (you know who you are)...Loving you made my life worthwhile. And I know you loved me back. Every single thing we did together brought me great joy. The trips we took -- the books we read, the quilts we made, the meals we ate, the laughter, the tears.

Thanks to you -- and some amazing Ritaluck -- my life was a terrific ride... I was, indeed, a lucky, lucky girl. And I would not change a thing. Not a single thing.



****************

 I AM ALIVE AND WELL. But I'm telling you -- it was kinda fun to write my own obituary. I highly recommend it.  Great idea, Rhonda!!

No comments:

Post a Comment