Friday, January 31, 2020

CHANGE #4: Sewing

To be very, very clear -- THERE IS NO BETTER HOBBY IN THE WORLD THAN SEWING.

Period. End of story. No discussion here...I'm right about this...

Sewing changes as YOU change ...and it has impacted my life for decades...in so many important ways I cannot even begin to list them.

When I went to college, I took a portable Kenmore. THE hot garment that year (1967) was an A-line jumper.  I sewed them for the girls in my dorm -- I charged $5. That was a lot of money back then.

I also hemmed skirts and pants -- often for free. And, believe me -- being known as 'THE GIRL WITH THE SEWING MACHINE"  was a very good thing...

In my 20's, I was going to work in an office every day, I needed to look nice, and it was hard to find things in my size. I never even thought about how lucky I was to be able to sew. If I wanted a pair of black palazzo pants (office Christmas party, 1973), I'd just make them!

When we lived in a small apartment in Arlington, Virginia -- I made pink ruffled curtains for the one window in our dining area. NOBODY was selling pink ruffled curtains at the time...and we had foolishly spent $50 on a PINK dinette set. (ugh)...

After we bought our first house, I made lined draperies for the "den".

When Ross was born, I sewed flannel blankets for him.

When Elliott was six, I made a fleece bird jacket that he loved so much, he almost wore it out...But -- luckily -- I SAVED IT...Recently, I had Warren try it on.  I thought it would be fun for him to wear it home and surprise his Dad...
But, NO WAY...he wasn't even willing to wear it out of the bathroom...

SEWING has allowed me to make a pretty good living doing something I LOVED.

One more thing. Sewing is a hobby that also has the very big added benefit of BEING A GIFT.

Because I know you. I AM YOU...you sew quilts for your sisters or brothers... Clothes for your grandkids, curtains for your daughter's new house, a robe for your husband, a table runner for your niece who invited you to Thanksgiving...

The joy you get from sewing is largely because you are CREATING something for people you love.

Oh, yeah. Sewing is the BEST HOBBY EVER...because no matter where I am in my life -- SEWING has changed right along with me.

Hummm...I might have to spend a whole week blogging about WHY SEWING ROCKS...

And really -- it's all about the GIFTS YOU MAKE...

No comments:

Post a Comment