Saturday, January 11, 2020

Sue and Judy from Wisconsin

I must have been CRAZY to think it was a good idea to install a major ART OF HOMEMAKING exhibit on December 1st. Really, Rita??

YOU DO REALIZE THAT'S THANKSGIVING WEEKEND, RIght??

Obviously, I never thought this thing through...ugh...

OKAY??  FIRST PROBLEM -- I NEVER LOOKED AT A CALENDAR...

SECOND PROBLEM?  I HAD NO IDEA HOW MUCH WORK THIS WAS GONNA BE...

I WAS AN IDIOT...IT WAS THE WORST IDEA I EVER HAD...

But, all that said -- there were SO MANY WONDERFUL moments because of the Exhibit.

Like, for example, having Sue and Judy come down all the way from Wisconsin just to see the Art of Homemaking!!
IT WAS SUCH AN HONOR..!!
We hooked up at the library, and it was a pleasure for me to share the Exhibit.
Judy was wearing her collection of vintage Christmas tree pins...
This one belonged to her mother.
Sue and Judy BOUGHT MY LUNCH..!! (that's crab rangoon pizza/11)
AND they brought gifts!!  (cookbooks...)
But the MOST FUN was the suitcase full of their mother's treasured household linens...
Sue is an award-winning quilter -- and she created a quilt out of??
Yes.  Embroidered 7-day-a-week dishtowels!!
She is also using a stash of chicken feed sacks to create quilt blocks...
Oh, yeah -- there is a lot of art going on here...
I loved reading some of the letters their mother wrote -- telling them who made what...
There were so many notes, pinned to the vintage linens...
Telling the story of their family...
Like, this sampler -- done by their great-great-grandmother in 1841. 
This apron,made out of chicken feed sacks, trimmed with bias tape...
We almost had a private room at the restaurant!!  PERFECT for our show-and-tell...
Drawn thread!! I cannot imagine how much work this must have been.
Such intricate edges...
Judy brought a framed wedding invitation -- which was quilled by their mother
What a special gift that would be, eh??
This was a WONDERFUL DAY for me -- and I want to thank Sue and Judy for taking the time to come from WISCONSIN to see the Exhibit...
We had a great time...and I loved seeing their family treasures...and they made me feel very special.

No comments:

Post a Comment