Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Pork & Sauerkraut

Although I may have blogged about this before (hey -- WHO CAN REMEMBER?)...Sherry and Linda both sent emails asking how I make my New Year's meal.  It's SO EASY -- but it's more about technique than recipe...

And there are a couple of tricks....

First off,  using my heavy dutch oven --I browned the roast on all sides.
Then, with the lid on...I put in a 300 degrees...for about four hours.  Low and slow...This is not an expensive cut of meat.  There is a lot of fat...and you basically want to render it down...
The roast is fall-apart tender when I remove it from the pan.  I separate the drippings...THIS LITTLE DEVICE is magic. I discard the fat...but keep the tasty au jus...
Frank's is excellent kraut (and widely available). My mother-in-law told me to always rinse my kraut....
And her biggest secret? ADD A RAW APPLE at this point...
Then, I pour the drippings BACK into the pan...add the already cooked pork roast on top of the apples....and put the whole show back in the oven (325) for another hour...until the kraut is good and hot. (discard the apples -- they did their job, and will taste salty and terrible).

Of course -- it's all meant to be served on top of delicious, not mashed potatoes!!
Of course, I DIDN'T GET ANY PICTURES of the finished meal. I guess I was too anxious to sit down and eat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment