Thursday, January 9, 2020

R.I.P. Christmas 2019

So, this post is when I get to lay it to rest.

The 2019 HOLIDAY SEASON IS OVER. And, I AM GLAD.

Holy Cow. We have done something wrong, ladies. This "Holiday Season" is just TOO MUCH. And it goes on WAY TOO LONG. And it is A LOT OF WORK. Most of which, at the end of the day, NOBODY APPRECIATES.

The truth is that nowadays -- it starts on Halloween. Then, before the porch Jack-o-Lanterns are even rotten -- it's time to COOK THE TURKEY.

Thanksgiving is a lot of heavy lifting...but -- who are we kidding? It's just a wimpy rehearsal for the REALLY BIG SHOW...

C.H.R.I.S.T.M.A.S...!!!

I mean -- really?? This year, it felt like I hardly finished scrubbing the turkey roaster...before it was time to GO AGAIN.

In addition to the BIG MEALS, with the good china and Aunt Rozella's silver -- you need to also cook all those once-a-year Holiday family favorites. Christmas morning cinnamon rolls anybody? How about some of Grandma's special date-stuffed rugelach? Your grandkids look forward to your special sugar cookies and what would Christmas be without fudge, right?

And, hey -- while you're at it -- don't forget to decorate a Gingrbread house to make some of those wonderful memories...and hey -- how about some homemade treats for the kids to give to their teachers, or the neighbors, or your friends. I mean -- GET GOING, LADIES!!  YOU CAN DO IT..!!  IT'S YOUR JOB....THERE IS JOY IN EVERY MOMENT...THIS IS HOW YOU SHOW PEOPLE YOU LOVE THEM...right??

And, as if that isn't enough work -- YOU MUST ALSO decorate your entire house, but I am sorry I bought that Snowman shower curtain five years ago...even if it was 60% off...cuz I just don't have time to do everything....I want to honor and pass on those family traditions that meant so much to my mother. 

You may also need to completely rearrange your furniture...and doesn't that tree get heavier every year? HEAVEN FORBID you need to bring a 4'x 8' train board into your small living room...

And I'm NOT EVEN GONNA START with the pressure that comes with gift-giving. Ugh. Do you need to make cookie trays for those crappy neighbors? I mean -- it's not like they ever reciprocate..is a Walmart gift card okay?

Do you send out Christmas cards?
Have a tradition of attending the Nutcracker every year?
Company coming in from out of town?
Extra beds to make?

And HOW ABOUT CHURCH? This is, after all, THE REASON FOR THE SEASON...and isn't it important to make sure religion is a part of the celebration?

Christmas Eve Day, I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off...I have 9 things going on at once.....cooking, wrapping, cleaning...the cheese soup is sticking to the bottom of the pan, I had last minute gifts to wrap...and I'm pretty sure I smelled bad...I really needed to take a shower...

I was plugging in the vacuum to do some last minute clean -up...when John looked up from his chair and said...

"Is somebody coming over?"

*********

Here are some random photos from the 2019 Farro Christmas...and I have promised myself that I'm going to read this post NEXT year. It's time to re-assess...
John, wrapping fudge
Warren, decorating cookies.
Lilly cutting her fudge into small pieces.
EVERY TEACHER and bus driver gets their special caramel corn.
Making special notes and cards.
Well -- you get the idea. WE ALL DO OUR BEST...to make it a rip-roaring, excellent, memorable Christmas for the people we love. But the question is -- how much of it do they REALLY appreciate?

Seriously...I'm thinking that next October -- I'm gonna give the kids a quiz. And ask them to remember the THREE things they loved (and remembered) about Christmas 2019...
Then again -- maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe the point is to DO THE THINGS I ENJOY DOING...FOR AS LONG AS I AM ABLE TO DO THEM....and hope that one day -- long after I'm gone...they'll remember at least some of it.

4 comments:

  1. your post reinforces all of my reasons for fleeing Iowa. We snowbird in Arizona...warm sunny days and no Christmas pressure. Sure I miss some things but there is so much stuff that is expected I was having problems remembering the reason for the season. And then with in-laws everyone was pulled to this special time or that important event, our time was almost metered! Thank you for reminding me,your post made my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. move over, Cheryl...I'm comin'your way...(WISHFUL THINKING)...

      Delete
  2. YIKES !!!! And I thought I was busy.... not so. Over the years I have downsized A LOT. The tree even stays up in the D.R. and decorations changed of for each season. Always eating too many Christmas goodies I now only make 2 or 3 family favorites and give 90% away. This year was super simple. Christmas Eve at Sister's and a Christmas morning breakfast and #2 son's home (Before Grandchildren needed to go back to their Mom's for the rest of Christmas Day.) Turns out I am O.K. with that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds perfect,Carol...I'm going to REVIEW ALL THIS NEXT YEAR...

      Delete