Monday, January 13, 2020

Happy/Sad

A couple of things happened.

The HAPPY thing was that my young friend Anne and her friend Tess came to see the Art of Homemaking Exhibit;

We had a wonderful day -- and she was intrigued by the Friendship Quilt.



Because of a healthy curiosity (or ADHD)... she went back to Cedar Rapids and used her mad internet skills to research the names on the quilt. (YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE WHAT SHE FOUND...)



But doing that research meant reading many dreadful obituaries. Holy Cow. Most of them were boring and dry -- without a hint of who that person really was or what they cared about.  I found myself wondering -- what was their life like? What mattered to them?   A person's life should be about more than born, married, births, and church affiliations...?

Then -- the sad thing was that my friend Carol died of pancreatic cancer.

Suddenly -- obituaries were no longer just an abstract thought.

And it's all kind of banging around in my brain...friendship...obituaries...

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for the loss of your friend Carol. I'm sure she is missed. The Friendship Quilt is very pretty. That's cool that your friend Anne researched the folks who made the blocks. Very neat. I'm sure they were all awesome people. It's takes special folks to make quilts and blocks. :-).

    ReplyDelete