Monday, January 20, 2020

When Velvet was an Option

Children grow up so fast....TOO FAST. Lilly is going to be 11 soon, and Warren is 7 now. Yikes. I like to think I enjoyed them at every stage...but I am missing those babies...

In her book, Range of Motion, Elizabeth Berg writes about a four year old child...

"All right," she says. It's rare for her to say good night.  She doesn't like it.  I don't know why.  She is turning into herself in these little ways.  She is like stepping into the garden every day, when you know something is new, different from the day before.  That's how children are, growing up in front of you the way they do.  Sometimes it's a barely noticeable thing, like a stem that's slightly taller.  Sometimes it's a blossom that's burst forth, obvious as a Vegas showgirl.  Wow, you think.  I'd better not miss a day.  I'd better be here." 

When Lilly was 3. She actually LIKED DRESSES.
No matter what I was doing, she LOVED doing it with me. She was always a conscientious child...
I remember thinking we would ALWAYS wear leopard for Thanksgiving!! (this was the last time it happened)
With her soul-mate, sister. dog...Sophie...
I'm afraid this is only funny to me...but I still laugh when I remember this moment. So, I'm gonna try to write it...

Lillian was not a child who enjoyed taking chances. On the day this happened -- she was 3 1/2 years old -- and had never voluntarily been on a riding toy.

She didn't even like being pulled in a wagon, and she would never consider anything crazy like roller skates...

Ross had moved home to attend nursing school.  Lilly was spending the night.

Uncle Ross was laying on the living room floor.  She got on his back, and he started rocking from side to side...(remember, he is LAYING on his stomach on the floor)...

She had her arms around his neck...when he rolled, she'd slide down...

Then, laying on the floor -- she'd say, really loud, "I'M OKAY...I'M OKAY..."

This is Warren, taking the same ride when he was about a year old..

No comments:

Post a Comment