Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Anne and The Friendship Quilt

Some of the names embroidered in the quilt squares:  Otsie Trousdale, Ardith, Elaine, Myrtle, Susan...


After seeing the exhibit, Anne wrote this:


Dear Rita,

I was so intrigued by the friendship quilt top that I started Googling. I think the ladies were from NE Iowa around Osage, Alden, ... 

So, I found the Obit for Otsie Trousdale's son Merle, who has a daughter on Facebook. She is a nurse in Mason City, but I can't see much else. 

Susan was actually Myrtle's daughter, so Susan Keller is her maiden name, and I haven't found a wedding announcement yet. I think the more unusual names are easier to find. If Susan married Mr. Johnson, it gets really hard to find her. I also haven't heard back from Aunt Cheryl. I would love for there to be a Peterson connection to Julie, but I think that's a pretty common name around that area.

My connection to the Newspaper Archive has been painfully slow this morning, so I may have to come back to it later. Little tidbits  -- Otsie and some of the other ladies (I think) were in the Alden Newspaper popularity contest in 1909. (She was Miss Otsie Walton). I think the Trousdales might be the easiest family to find. There are two obits for Otsie's sons in 2005, and 2006, although they aren't loading right now.




No comments:

Post a Comment