Wednesday, January 29, 2020

CHANGE #2: SDC

This week will be about my 2020 word...CHANGE...

(You will be relieved to know that I'm not going to write about choosing a funeral home...)

One of the changes I am really serious about is GOING THROUGH MY CLUTTER...ugh...

I have been a collector all my life. I love the hunt, and I buy quirky things -- furniture to be painted or recovered, clothes to be Frankensewed, t-shirts to cut up for quilts, games, puzzles, cashmere sweaters, pink flamingos, vintage linens...well, you've seen most of it.

The thing is -- I never worried about having too much stuff.  Because I always believed that, sooner or later, I'd use that particular treasure, find it a perfect home -- or work it into my next project.

EVENTUALLY

But here's where CHANGE comes into play. At this stage of my life, I need to be more realistic about the word "eventually"...

Remember last summer, when Mary had her "giveaway-my-sewing-stash" event? That was the first time I heard the words "Swedish death Cleaning".

Mary told me about this book...


According to Amazon: 

A charming, practical, and unsentimental approach to putting a home in order while reflecting on the tiny joys that make up a long life.
 
I was very surprised to see that -- now -- just a few months later -- Amazon has about a dozen books, all using Swedish Death Cleaning in the title..!!

Okay.  I GET IT, I GET IT...and it's a real thing.

*******

P.S.  To review, I have two adult BOYS.  And neither one of them is the least bit interested in a single thing I own.  I HAVE ACCEPTED THAT BITTER PILL...

Last year, we were talking about a neighbor who died.  His family was trying to decide whether they should have an"estate sale" or haul the stuff up to the local auction house.

The look on Ross's face said he considered both options WAY TOO MUCH WORK...

I said, "after I die, you boys are just going to have a fire, aren't you?"

7 comments:

  1. Your word of 2020,"Change",is a really great reflection word. Wouldn't it be great if some things in life didn't have to change - ever? Then again, other things we hope change quickly in our lives. I'm very thankful to the Good Lord to be living through my life changes. It's difficult for me to embrace some changes though.🌞 I have 3 boys who aren't interested in my hobbies and loves of certain things either. I hope to share some of my "collected junk" with other folks who loves this stuff like me, one day. In all reality, I need to pass some things on, all along through life. I think your grandkids will treasure all your collections of things. They are so lucky to have you. They are learning so much from you. Enjoy your day. And remember, "change" can be slow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh too funny and close to home. #1 son bought his Grandparents home and in the process of moving them to a small apartment we had to PURGE over 50 years of STUFF> Both sons told us after that ordeal, if you leave us a mess like this we will just toss in a match. Fast forward 6 month, we have a house fire.... the 1st thing I said to them was *Hey we are still living here ! *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first thing I would have said was, "which one of you threw that match?"...lol...

      Delete
  3. My friend's mom passed away a few years ago. Her accumulation would probably put yours to shame. And my friend is an only child, so it all fell to her. After selling 2000 pounds of fabric at a sale (I am not exaggerating, I was there), she still had nearly 100 boxes of fabric that Goodwill picked up. And that was just the fabric that was in the house. There was still stuff there from when her dad had died 15 years earlier. She actually found a scrap of the fabric from the year (about 35 years ago) she and I had matching outfits at 4-H Fashion Revue (not planned, belonged to different clubs) and gave it to me as a joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about that "collection", Laura. I'm starting the giant S.O.R.T.I.N.G...

      Delete