Tuesday, January 28, 2020

CHANGE...#1...

So, about that 2020 Word...

C.H.A.N.G.E..

The obvious big change in my life is that I AM OLD NOW. ugh.

I'm 70 years old. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? Honestly -- it feels like only a few years ago, I was dropping out of college...trying to figure out what I wanted TO DO WITH MY LIFE...
Me...circa 1970...

The good news is that I don't FEEL 70...AND I AM GRATEFUL.

But -- Let's face it -- 70 is 70. I need to accept this next stage of my life.

I am an old woman, and I shall wear purple...no, wait....I don't see the point of purple...so if it isn't about that??

It's different now. My life is no longer about the "first time". Wow...Those "FIRSTS" were very exciting, that's for sure. My first kiss, my first job, first apartment,  first time to get drunk, first car, first husband, first baby...first trip overseas...THAT WAS ALL SO FABULOUS....AND I ENJOYED EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM...

But, being realistic,  my "firsts" are mostly behind me. So -- now what?

Well, obviously, it's about the "LASTS".  As in -- "Last Will and Testament". I've seen too many families suffer after a loved one died because their wishes weren't known. Or -- worse yet -- they left a Will that tore their family apart.

So, okay. Time to find a lawyer. Time to take care of some business.  While we're at it, at this point, we should each have Power of Attorney for each other...and I need to educate myself about our finances. Ugh.

John has always taken care of all that...and he's done a GREAT JOB. But I need to be able to step up...Which means, making sure everything is in order. I do not want to leave a mess for our boys...

Nobody likes to talk about this stuff....but, IT'S TIME.   Recently, we hired a lawyer. We have a trust. All our finances are contained in one central, easy to find folder...(along with passwords for accounts).

It wasn't easy, but I'm feeling pretty good about where we're at.  And if you think THAT conversation was difficult -- wait for the next thing on this dreadful old lady to-do list.

We need to decide on a funeral home, and make some arrangements...

Double Ugh.

Hey -- don't worry!  I'm feeling great, and not planning to die any time soon.  BUT YOU NEVER KNOW.  And I think it's important to DO THIS CRAPPY STUFF while you're still capable. 

This is my favorite picture from last year.  Me, John and Frankie!!  (Thanks, Janet!)

3 comments:

  1. and if you are married but long time separated you need to get the divorce done NOW!! No, this isn't me but in my field I see this all the time and it makes for a messy estate etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right behind you! Bob has also done most of the finances and I need to know where things are and how to access them , just in case. We have both decided on direct cremation and will not need the cemetery plots we bought 40 years ago! We have the deed showing we paid $400 and they are now selling for $1200. Know anybody wanting a good deal on two spaces at Memorial Park? We are slowly trying to organize things so the boys don't have a mess when we are gone.. Which should be MANY years away, but good to have it taken care of. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funeral arrangements are tough. So smart to do in advance. My parents were planning to do that last year, then my dad died, so mom had to do. My brother and I were there to support, but it was all her decision. She did do hers at the same time, so we wouldn't need to worry about it. Still hard.

    ReplyDelete