Monday, February 10, 2020

The Art of Homemaking Exhibit: The End

Just when you thought I was done talking about that EXHIBIT, eh??

Here's the thing. What I didn't expect. LOTS OF PEOPLE CAME TO SEE the Exhibit...and I enjoyed giving some personal tours.

It suddenly dawned on me that this was a true Kodak MOMENT...which would never happen again. All these things, my lifetime collection -- so carefully gathered, ironed, sorted and displayed...well -- they might never be together again. This was a closing window...

One of my favorite tours started off with me sending this invitation...

**********
Sun, Jan 26, 11:40 AM email...

Dear Favorite Nieces,

I would love to take you out for an early supper one night this week. AND -- we'd start at the Bettendorf Library, so I can give you a guided tour of the Art of Homemaking Exhibit. 

Which, of course, has some roots with my mother, and my mother's mother...and this is the last week.

CALL ME.... 

LOVE, Aunt Rita 

P.S. I will be 71 soon -- which is really old -- so I could die any minute. Then you will feel awful...truly....The guilt will be with you forever -- you will wake up every morning for the rest of your life with regret...thinking... "Gee, I wish I'd seen that big exhibit of all her crap"...

The next day, I ran into Nicole (left) at the YMCA...and she rushed to give me a hug and said, "I'm so glad you didn't die last night.".... I said..."me, too..."
I gave them a special tour of the Exhibit -- then -- we went OUT FOR LUNCH!!
Of course, they didn't know I would be BRINGING GIFTS. They both have King size beds...and it's one of my great joys to put together "sheet sets" from my thrifting/vintage collections. Their new sheets were, of course, DRIED ON THE LINE...(which did require some snow shoveling!)
P.S....hey --I figure it's about time I start to play the Old Lady Card. Cuz, here's the thing -- IF NOT NOW -- WHEN?

2 comments:

  1. oh Rita, you are a Hoot! Those nieces are so lucky to have you. My favorite Crazy Auntie lived in AZ and we would only see each other maybe every two years. I miss her so much.

    ReplyDelete