Friday, June 26, 2015

Pat's First Two Meals

When my friend Pat came from Olympia, Washington for a visit, I wanted her to experience my Iowa from the FOOD point of view...

Since she arrived late at night -- we had no choice but the iconic Ross's 24 hour Restaurant...
Pat arrived at 10 PM, so I didn't get a picture...but this is Lilly and Memphis (on another day). We're kind of fond of the place...

Here's President Obama -- at Ross's Restaurant, holding one of their giant homemade cinnamon rolls...
Alton Brown came to eat the Magic Mountain. Which, of course, was famous long before he got here.  And that IS WHAT WE ORDERED on Pat's first night...
The Magic Mountain is a piece of Texas Toast, covered with loose meat hamburger, then topped with a mountain of french fries, and smothered with cheese sauce. (onions optional) OMG...

We're off to a good start, eh??

On Pat's first full day -- we attended Lilly's dance recital.  (no end to the excitement we have to offer..).
There was a long line, waiting to get in...good thing Pat had her purse, because it was a $7 ADMISSION...(are you kidding me?) Thanks again, Pat, for paying the cover charge!! 
Pat met Elliott..the entire audience looks mesmerized, don't you think?
I was able to tolerate the two hour recital because I knew where we were going to have lunch...at TC's bar in nearby DeWitt.
YES, PEOPLE -- THERE IT IS.  THE FAMOUS IOWA FRIED PORK TENDERLOIN SANDWICH.  Reason enough to travel 2,000 miles, my friends...
Really. It's amazing. I like it with ketchup, mustard, pickle and onion.
I seriously considered using Pat's Iowa visit as an excuse to invent a "Pork Tenderloin Tour"...but, then, I was afraid it was just too self-serving...and what if Pat doesn't like 'em.

Nah....that could never happen...

***********
Thanks, Sue, for the email yesterday regarding the CATS lessons.  I enjoyed your perspective and thought I should share it...

Maybe the lesson is that the older we get, the less discerning we are about any form of entertainment...

No comments:

Post a Comment