Thursday, June 25, 2015

Clinton Showboat

My friend Sandy has been cutting my hair for over 20 years. She has a crew of girlfriends/sisters she hooks up with every Wednesday -- and when they invite me to join them -- I know I'm going to have a good time!!

Recently, she invited me to join them for a Wednesday matinee at a local musical theater, and then an early supper.
Sandy, in the middle, with her sisters Carol and Kay.
The theater is the City of Clinton's Showboat! It's an actual PADDLEWHEELER...which really is floating on the Mississippi River
The theater is small -- my guess is that it seats 200 people...
This performance was completely sold out!
Here's the thing. When Sandy invited me. I said yes before I realized it was CATS.

I hate the musical CATS. Many years ago, I walked out of the actual Broadway production of CATS. I just didn't get it. I thought it was a terrible waste of time. For years, I've been saying CATS is musical theater's answer to the Emperor's New Clothes.

Once, when I was telling my funny story about how I walked out of CATS, a friend of mine said (in a patronizing tone) -- "Well, Rita, you know, it's an allegory."

I looked at her and said, "If you think you're helping me -- you're not."

So, the truth is, I was not looking forward to another production of CATS. But, I was happy about spending time with Sandy's crew...and I wouldn't dream of saying anything negative. The day isn't all about the musical.

However -- a funny thing happened during this performance. I loved it.

After the show -- we walked next door to the beautiful Candlelight Restaurant. RIGHT ON THE RIVER...
I didn't let my previous disappointing experience affect THIS DAY. I had a wonderful time...the dancing was incredible, the singing was amazing.

Maybe the lesson is that everything and everybody deserves a second chance.

Or that you should always go into something with an open heart.

Or -- the true secret to happiness is lowered expectations.  

At any rate -- I wished I could take Lilly...it was THAT good.

No comments:

Post a Comment