Friday, April 16, 2010

My Lamp Fetish

At a recent auction, they lined up five floor lamps and announced, "so much apiece, take as many as you want." I won the first round with a $9 bid. Great. I chose the heaviest lamp -- the one with FIVE lightbulbs. It is exactly what I need...excellent...

Then, in the next bidding "go-round" -- they couldn't get an opening bid. So the auctioneer said, "okay -- one money gets them all".

Damn. OF COURSE I HAD TO BID $2.50....I mean -- you can understand that, right? What if I didn't pick the best lamp the first time? What if the best lamp is in this big gaggle of leftover lamps??

Of course, you know what happened....the next thing I know, I'm wondering how I'm going to get five floor lamps in the back seat of my car....



There were extra shades...and a desk lamp, and a wall sconce...

AND, oh, yeah, how lucky for me that I also bought a box of scrap mink pieces...they made a nice soft ride for all the light bulbs...



I'll let you know which lamps I KEEP. I need a reading lamp in the guest room...and next to my Lazy-boy...

Oops...that leaves me with 3 leftover lamps that I have to find homes for.

This treasure hunting can turn into a lot of work...

4 comments:

  1. you are just totally nuts, you know that....that's why we all love you :-)
    Laura in Puyallup

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need a bigger vehicle for all your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or, maybe a convertible! I'd love to see you driving down the road (with the top down, of course) after one or your successful treasure hunts! Now, THAT would fit your personality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a van...which I loved...after it died, it sat on the property for two extra years...just because I couldn't bear to part with all the treasures it held. AND THERE WAS NO ROOM IN THE HOUSE...John called it my "not very moveable storage unit"...

    ReplyDelete