Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter

Happy Easter.

When I was a kid, Easter was one of the two times a year my Mom made dresses for her five daughters. (Chritmas was the other time.) We would walk into church, the five Little girls (that was my maiden name) -- and every head would turn as we came down the aisle in our beautiful dresses, with the big gathered skirts...

Of course, I was young -- and I could not know that those look-a-like-dresses were a rare thing that represented a fleeting moment in my life...

When my two boys were growing up, Easter Sunday was more about the "scavenger hunt" that took place in the morning, before we went to church. When they were small, they'd have to "hunt" for their baskets. As they grew up, I made the hunt more elaborate. And I also made them do it LONG INTO their 20's...Even after Elliott met Emily -- they'd get up, and there would be a "clue" posted on the door. Ten clues in all. Every one rhymed...like,

"Go to the place where you wash your face..."
"Don't be in a rush...but your next clue is under the toilet brush..."

At the end of the hunt, both Ross and Elliott would find their basket -- (handmade and painted by me when they were small) with some choolate eggs and one major toy.
I was too dumb to know those savenger hunts were only fleeting moments...

This year, my niece Amy has invited us up for Easter dinner at her house. Her three boys, Cale, Garrett & Cash -- will have an Easter Egg hunt with their cousins, Parker, Landon and Memphis. I'm looking forward to hiding some plastic Easter eggs for them...

Because I'm older now -- and wiser -- and I know when I'm having a M-O-M-E-N-T...

3 comments:

  1. Happy Easter, Rita!

    Olivia still enjoys her mum making her an Easter outfit, thankfully. This year's theme was Edwardian. She proudly wore her garments and didn't even want to take off her coat in church. Like you, Rita, I know this will not last so I am enjoying every moment. If you want to see her outfit, you can see it at my blog, http://stitchedbyhislove.blogspot.com/2010/04/happy-easter.html

    I hope you had a wonderful family time and that the hunt was memorable for all. I hope we get to see some pictures. :D

    Blessings to you,

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing these memories, Rita. Love your insight. Doing my best to relish our own moments these days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol & Shaundra -- THANKS for the comments! You both make beautiful moments...and I WILL post pictures -- like you could stop me!!

    ReplyDelete