Saturday, July 31, 2021

My New Sewing Room

Dear Laura,

Hey -- you asked a good question yesterday!! Which room will be my new sewing room -- the den or the secondary bedroom?

I've decided my sewing room will be the MASTER BEDROOM. That's right. The biggest room in the place -- the one with the best windows and the walk-in closet!!

 https://www.vintagecooperatives.com/bettendorf/locust

Here's my logic.

John has Alzheimer's -- and it's only going to get worse. That's why we're moving. He will spend more and more time in bed -- and the secondary bedroom will be a much quieter space, because on the other side of it's common wall is the stairwell. Also, that room is almost the exact same size as our current bedroom -- and the bathroom configuration is the same. I liked this floor plan because the bedroom/bathroom layout will be familiar for John.

Also -- the television will be on the wall shared by the Master Bedroom...and if John was in that room, my late-night tv watching would annoy him.

But that big beautiful well-lit room won't be just for me and my sewing.  It will have a double bed -- and, hopefully, an art table for Lilly and Warren.  It's where the kids and I can hang out, play games and make stuff...without disturbing John.  I am excited about having a walk-in closet to organize my fabric stash and Grandma Camp activities/art supplies...because, even though we'll be living in a new place, and the kids are getting older...I like to think Grandma Camp has a few more seasons...

4 comments:

  1. Awesome!!
    I loved going to my grandma's my entire life all the way through my adult life. She taught me how to make beaded ornaments. We canned tons of fruit and vegetables every summer/fall there. As an adult, I went with her to Costco for the "senior buffet" (free samples). She had a great basement, and I always got the bedroom down there, as the oldest grandchild. I really miss my grandma, but have wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm going for, Laura...

      Delete
    2. I love that--Costco's "senior buffet"! Gotta remember that one!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Rita, the setup is going to be perfect! You've put a lot of thought into it and, yes, familiarity will be key to his adjustment to your new home. And you are thinking ahead to future visits from the grands, too. That's wonderful.

    Loved the pictures. My goodness, Lilly and Warren are certainly growing up! How old are they now? Seems like it was just yesterday, you became a grandma! (By the way, our Isaac--the one I told you about, my first, all those years ago--will be 20 in September!! TWENTY!! How did that happen?!)

    ReplyDelete