Wednesday, July 7, 2021

It was a quiet morning...until....

Gheesh...I was doing pretty good with my blogging streak....then THIS HAPPENED... I was working in the basement (Monday is my Carrie cleaning day) -- still trying to go through ALL THOSE BOXES AND BINS. I discovered a box of cancelled checks (remember those days) from my Rita's Sew Fun store days. Ugh. WHY DO I HAVE THESE??  Because I still have the same bank account, I decided I should burn them. 

We used to heat our house with wood, so we have a woodburner in the basement. I used it this winter to burn my trash (because of all the snow and ice, I could not walk outside to the burning barrel)...it was just a small bag of checks, so I put them in the woodburner and lit it up. 

To make a long story short -- I had a chimney fire.

I called 911...and within 6 minutes, I had a FULL RESPONSE...two fire engines from Princeton, Iowa...two from LeClaire...and one from McCausland.  I also had a Sheriff's patrol car, a Princeton Police car, an ambulance, and about 6 pickup tricks from volunteer firemen arriving on the scene...



4 comments:

  1. The good news is that no one was hurt and you found out that the chimney needs cleaned. This is good to know now so you don't find out from an inspection report when you go to sell the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness!! Well, at least they didn't let your house burn down, which would have made your day so much worse! I'm thankful your fire crew is on the job, and that you and John are safe!!

    ReplyDelete