Thursday, July 22, 2021

Sooo many Vintage Samplers

Okay -- it's official. The auctioneer called today, and there will be a truck pulling into my driveway on Saturday, July 24th at 1:00. Two guys will load up everything I want them to take out of this house for the Art of Homemaking Auction. Curtis Dosland is the auctioneer -- here's his website:

https://www.doslandauctionservice.com/

At first, I was reluctant to hire an online auctioneer -- as I have FOR MANY YEARS enjoyed attending auctions in person And I was of the opinion that these linens had to be seen in person to be appreciated...

But -- hey -- time marches on and that was then. This is NOW.

I've been following his auctions this summer, and I think he does a good job His auction facility is in Grand Mound, Iowa -- a town about 30 miles from me. His crew will put all my stuff in a trailer until it's my turn. Then, they'll photograph every single thing that will be auctioned, and write a brief description. Typically, each auction has between 500-1000 "lots" -- and once you register, you can bid on anything.

What is a "lot"?

In my case, a lot might be a set of pillowcases, or six matching napkins....or a set of wine glasses. Well -- you get the idea.

One of the "collections" I'm parting with is my vintage samplers. OMG....I really have enjoyed finding them, and collecting them, and displaying them...for YEARS.

Then, gradually, Lilly and Warren's artwork replaced the vintage samplers on my main art wall. And, at the new house, with the open floor plan -- there just won't be that much wall space.

So -- hey -- IT'S TIME TO LET IT GO...

My way to honor these treasures is to remember where I found them....think about the joy they brought to me...and hope every one of them will go on to a new home...to be loved all over again....













I will am letting go of at lest 30 samplers...most of them framed...every one of them a work of art, created by an anonymous woman...probably to give as a gift to a friend.


And, in many ways, as I send these works of art back out into the world -- I feel like that's exactly what I'm doing, too.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure there will be others who will be delighted to purchase your treasures--and will be so glad that you took good care of them all these years. Good for you, Rita. It's hard, but you are doing it!! And, come moving day, you will have much less to haul and store, and will be able to display the few pieces you have kept that are your special favorites.

    ReplyDelete