Sunday, July 18, 2021

The Art of Homemaking AUCTION

I've had to put my swivel chair on the back burner this week. Because next Saturday -- July 24 -- the auctioneer is bringing a truck to our house to pick up THE FIRST LOAD.

Holy Cow. We've lived in this house for 40 years -- and this move is gonna be a really big job.

This FIRST auction is all about the "Art of Homemaking". The heart of it is, of course, my massive collection of home linens. I have baskets, bushels and tubs full of sheets, pillowcases, tablecloths, dresser scarves -- well, you get the idea. It's even overwhelming for me...

I am getting a little thrill in rediscovering, touching and lovingly labeling each and every piece of linen I've collected and treasured over the years.  So many of my pieces are in unused condition - they really are museum quality.  Obviously, the women who made them (or received them as gifts) put them away in their cedar chests, "saving them" for a special occasion...

As much as I enjoyed the COLLECTING of these beautiful linens -- it's time for me to let go...and I like thinking that these treasures will be moving on to new homes, where somebody else will get to appreciate the workmanship and quality...

This set of pillowcases has exquisite crochet trim.  Never Used Condition.

This set of pillowcases is that beautiful long-staple cotton THEY DON'T MAKE ANY MORE...and the embroidery is stunning.  Again -- Never Used Condition...

A beige tablecloth with blue candlewick flowers.  In Never Used Condition...stunning

Fieldcrest sheets were always top quality...

This set (flat sheet and two pillowcases) was left in a hope chest for over 50 years -- unused and unopened,


Every tub is chock-full of linens -- all carefully measured and labeled.


Although the pick-up is happening on Saturday -- I don't have a date for the auction yet.  The auction house is Dosland Auction Service, and nowadays they do everything online.  

This week, I hope to blog about some of the treasure I've been finding....and, I'm telling you -- this Art of Homemaking Auction is GOING TO BE AMAZING...




4 comments:

  1. Half the reason I continue to use a full size bed is to be able to use my vintage linens! I hope I can go to the acution because I would be a loving home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, boy, Bridget -- DO I HAVE SOME SHEETS FOR YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We, too, have a regular double bed, and I am drooling over some of your linens! I so enjoyed your presentation (with Mary Mulari, I think) at Expo years ago, when you wrote the Dress Your Bed book! I think I have at least some vintage pillowcases in a box downstairs. Might need to go and dig them out! Will look forward to your further sharing of your collection, and auction updates. If it's online, that means we can all "go", right?! 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, YES -- you can all "go", Charlotte!! AND OF COURSE YOU SHOULD DIG OUT your vintage pillowcases! There is nothing like that long-staple cotton....HEAVEN to sleep on!!

      Delete