Friday, July 30, 2021

Downsizing

 Janet just asked me what all this talk was about downsizing...and where we were moving to.  I blogged about this some time ago -- but hey -- she must not read this blog every day, eh?

When the building is complete (maybe in November) -- John and I will be moving into the Bettendorf Suites, a Ewing Property development.  It is a co-operative community with 64 units...two elevators, underground parking, a fitness room, a community room,  etc.

This is a rendering of what the finished building will look like.

 

The floor plan I selected is "The Locust". It's 1400 sq. ft., on the first floor -- with a patio and direct entrance to the outside. That was a deal-breaker for me. I wanted to be sure Lilly and Warren would be able to come directly into our home (I bought it during Covid lock-down)....and, of course, it will make it much easier to take Frankie out for his necessary walks. 

 Here's a link to our floor plan: The Locust

There are a million reasons for us to move into town.  Most of them center around John's Alzheimer's, of course.  He can no longer take care of this place -- and the horse weeds are officially 10 ft. tall now  As they have been for the last coupla years.  

But it was while shoveling snow last winter, and scraping ice off my car when I knew for sure IT'S TIME TO MOVE.  On one particularly bitter cold day, I'd been outside for two hours and it suddenly hit me -- "what happens if I slip and fall?  Hey -- I'm 72 years old -- I could have a heart attack doing this?"

Really...I could lay there for two days before anybody knew I was down for the count...

My friends Linda and Don had already become shareholders in this property -- so they'd done a lot of the research.  I love the location, and the concept of "aging in place".  I am looking forward to the walk-in shower, having everything on one level, and gaining a community.   

They have a shareholders meeting once a month, so you get to make friends with your new neighbors.   John went with me to the last meeting.  He enjoys visiting with people, and I think he had a nice time.  Ross came, too, so he could see what it was all about and meet some of the people who will be our neighbors.

Right now, John is having a wonderful summer here at the house.  But he has absolutely no idea how much work my brother Calvin does for him.  Cal comes down almost every day with his chain saws, stump grinders, bush wackers, etc.  Cal's work has made it possible for John to ride his John Deere riding mower for hours on end.  

I've been working for months to get rid of things we no longer need...and have taken tons (literally) of stuff to the Goodwill or the Salvation Army.  I've cleaned out our bedroom, and most of the closets in the house.  Then, I started on the basement...and, as you know, will be having the first auction -- which is mostly about my vintage linen collection.  But it's also a lot of stuff from Grandma Camp, kid stuff, a giant kite (I thought that was SUCH a good idea -- but nobody ever wanted to fly the damn thing)....kitchen stuff, my two clock collections, various lamps, an upright freezer...well, you'll see it all soon enough.

Dosland Auction picked up the stuff for my FIRST auction last weekend.  They sell everything online -- and post a new sale every 10 days or so.  They will photograph every single thing, and let me know when my auction will be happening.  I expect it won't be until September...(he has a lot of other people in the line-up.)

AFTER we move into town -- there will definitely be a second auction.  That will be most of the MAN STUFF that John has accumulated over the years.  I can't begin to tell you -- chain saws, blowers, weed eaters, butchering equipment, fishing, bow-hunting,  gardening, sooo many pairs of winter boots, hunting boots, waders, rubber boots, two closets full of camouflage clothes, etc.

And, like I said, I am just grateful I'm able to DO THIS WORK.  Or, to be more specific -- HIRE the right people to do the work...

Cuz, after we move to our new home, and Dosland Auction does the second sale -- I'm bringing back the GOT JUNK boys to finish the job!!

By that time I'm ready to put this place on the market -- I figure it will officially be two years since I started this downsizing process...

Yes.  It's a lot.  But I feel like I'm in a marathon, not a sprint...

The surprising thing is I'm not hating this process.  I have actually enjoyed seeing all my treasures...and am looking forward to sending them back out in the world, to be discovered by somebody else who will appreciate them as much as I did.  

And...as we get older -- I want to be in a home where everything is on one floor.  I'm excited about being 5 minutes away from the YMCA...having underground parking and a walk-in shower...and simply walking down the hall for our monthly Featherweight sew-ins....

Yes -- I'm a LUCKY GIRL...

2 comments:

  1. You've blogged five days in a row! Life must be fairly stable right now. So, which room is going to be your sewing room - the den or the second bedroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration to me, dear Rita! I wish I had your energy and stamina! I have So Much stuff here, too, and I need to tackle it--soon! (and I'm 3 years older than you! and Ron is 88!) Indeed, we would love to be on one floor, also.

    Speaking of which, I Love the floor plan of your new home! Not only an extra bedroom, but a den! And a separate laundry room, extra bathroom, etc. Just wonderful! (I love to look at floor plans!) Thanks for keeping us updated, and for letting us see what a huge job this really is. Prayers continue.

    ReplyDelete