Wednesday, July 28, 2021

LETTING IT GO...

No matter what you love -- the truth is -- nobody gets buried with their coin collection.

Sooner or later -- we ALL have to let go of our lifetime collections. My observation of the world we live in is that most people wait too long.... I am a lucky girl to be doing this job WHILE I'M STILL ABLE.

Surprisingly, saying goodbye to my treasures hasn't been sad for me. I loved collecting these things, and I was fortunate to be able to assemble many of them last year for the Art of Homemaking Exhibit at the Bettendorf Library.

For me, the joy was always THE HUNT. I loved, loved, loved every auction I attended or antique store I discovered over the years. But, at this point in my life, I am done with owning all this stuff...and it's TIME TO LET IT GO...

But -- WOW -- was I an excellent hunter!!

I will be selling three clothespin bags...

Apparently, these used to be a form of advertising...

I'm letting go of my Missoni plastic dishes (designed for Target) -- AND also, a Missoni suitcase.


This 3-D pansy embroidered pillowcase goes with a decorated flat sheet...which is in perfect condition.  But I HAD to launder the pillowcases. (and, of course, hang them outside)...

This is a box of colored metal sewing machine accessories -- copper colored sewing feet!!  Even a turquoise attachment!!

It was called "Kenmore Sew-By-Color"

You know all about my love affair with #158 Kenmore sewing machines

Turns out, I also couldn't resist boxes of cams and attachments...


Obviously, I didn't try too hard to resist anything! This summer, as I was measuring and marking each and every piece of linen in my massive collection -- I felt like it all came to me exactly as it was supposed to...and now it's time for me -- AND these linens -- to move on to our next chapter.

2 comments:

  1. You do have some wonderful treasures, Rita!! I was given a clothespin bag when I got married in 1974 (one that looks like a child's dress, that someone made...) but I never had a clothesline, so I never used it. (Ron kept saying he would put one up for me, but, after 47 years, I'm not holding my breath! LOL)

    I have gotten rid of some things, but need to do much, much more. Hm, maybe I'm catching the "bug"?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use my clothespin bag for storing plastic grocery bags until they are either reused or taken back to the store for recycling.

    ReplyDelete