Thursday, January 21, 2021

It's Gonna Be Alright...

There's a lot going on here this winter...

I'm about 12 books into my Dementia/Alzheimer's learning curve.  Some have been very helpful -- other's have put me to sleep...and, well -- that can be a good thing, depending on the day...

Becoming a "caregiver" is a giant change.  Of course, LIFE IS ABOUT CHANGE...I get that.  But some change is good -- like -- "I lost 20 pounds and none of my pants fit"...

Alzheimer's is more like -- "There's a tsunami coming -- and I forgot to learn how to swim"

Since the day John climbed in his truck and ended up 169 miles away from home -- I've been forced to face the reality...

And acceptance is a whole new territory for me.  

It is what it is....and John isn't going to get better...  That was a bitter pill. 

So, I pulled up my big girl pants and took a look around.  I realized HOW LUCKY I AM.  John and I have been married for 50 years, and we have enjoyed good health, interesting jobs, a beautiful, quiet life in the country.  I wouldn't change a minute of raising our boys here, in the house we built...and, OH -- how I have enjoyed being a Grandma here...

John always loved the apron Mary made for him...

 So, with a heart full of gratitude -- I'm moving forward by living in the moment.  I'm not going to obsess about what the future may bring...and what horrible things may or may not happen...I'm determined to make the best of each day, given our new parameters. 

My intention is to put my time and energy into the things that I can control.  I make arrangements for John to get out of the house a couple of times a week.  I encourage his old buddies to call him on the phone...because he still enjoys talking....and that may not last for long.  I figured out how to put the Lone Ranger on a 6-hour loop -- cuz that makes John happy.

What makes ME happy is having creative projects to plan and work on. I am a girl who loves a project.  Working on Kathy's doggie blanket was fun...and there's always a bit of Frankensewing in the hopper...and my next project is a MAJOR furniture reno (pictures to follow).

To bring some balance to my day, I try to mix up things I LOVE to do (sewing, reading, etc.) with things I HATE to do (cleaning, organizing, finances.)

Therefore -- Swedish Death Cleaning is in full swing -- with a lot of creative breaks.  I've been BURNING 40 years worth of old bills.  In the history of the world -- has anybody ever once looked back at an electric bill from 20 years ago??

 


 


3 comments:

  1. I married late so there will never be 50 years with my sweetie, unless he lives well into triple digits. That is why we are trying to live this time to the fullest. good luck on the Swedish cleaning. I am becoming ruthless in my elimination. If I can get it out of the house before sweetie notices. He would continue to KEEP the 20 year old bills! Not likely! It was cancer that I had to study up on. I would not wish it on anyone. BTW John is such a cute good looking man! 50 years with that is worth lots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Electric bills, water bills, really most any bill can be found online if we need it these days. And like you said, who ever goes back and needs them anyway?! I shred them as soon as I know the payment has cleared.

    You are such an inspiration in moving forward - thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita you are such a strong woman. You are very inspiring to me. I love to read your blog. 🌻 Around the time my dad's mother passed away, my mom helped go through their things. She used photo books and put a few cancelled checks in each one that one of them had signed and she put a copy of a bill or 2 in each photo book & things like that. All sorts of "paperwork". She was able to make several of them. I still have mine. I find it interesting to sometimes look at it and see how much the prices have changed in all these years. Plus seeing their signatures & what bills they did have is interesting too.🍃 Take care. Stay well. 🌞

    ReplyDelete