Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Fresh Pork and Sauerkraut

On January 1st, I made the meal I've been making since 1970. Fresh pork with sauerkraut. Even though this is JOHN'S family tradition -- this year, he wasn't looking forward to it. In fact, he didn't really know what I was talking about...

That was sad, for sure. But I went ahead, thinking it might bring back some memories for him. Also -- because this may be our last year in this house -- it felt important to do what I've always done...one last time...

There isn't an actual "recipe" for my New Year's Day fresh pork and sauerkraut meal. It's more technique than anything. Some people sear the roast, then braise it. I like to cook the pork roasts LOW AND SLOW.

The traditional way to serve it is -- fresh pork, mashed potatoes, and sauerkraut on top of everything.

But, I like pork gravy, too -- so I start off with two giant bone-in fresh pork roasts. It could be pork shoulder or Boston Butt...

I put both roasts in my HUGE Thanksgiving roasting pan...then, into the oven at 300 degrees for maybe 4 hours...(with the lid on)
    


At that point, they're cooked to about 160 degrees...and I separate them.  I pour off the fat (there will be a LOT) -- and use my gravy separator to split the juices between the two pans.


The Dutch oven will be perfect for making gravy in a coupla hours...and I put two giant jars of a good sauerkraut into the Thanksgiving roasting pan -- along with a cut up apple.  (I rinse the kraut before putting it in the pan, and I remove the apples before I serve it.)


I put them both back in the oven for another 2 hours. (yes, it takes a long time -- but most of that time is unattended cooking).  The last hour with no lid -- to crisp the outside of the roast, and reduce the drippings...

 

The roasts are done when the meat is very, very soft....and the thermometer will read over 200...What you're going for here is falling apart when you try to lift it out of the pan.

Using the drippings from the Dutch oven, I use a flour slurry to make a killer gravy...

Like always, Ross mashes the potatoes...


.If you gravy is an unappetizing gray color -- use a teaspoon of Kitchen Bouquet magic...(My killer gravy secret ingredient...)
My brother Calvin, and his wife Jeanne. My favorite, most frequent dinner guests...
Except for Ross, of course. Although, since he has his own home now, we eat there more often than he eats here. And I am FINE WITH that new routine...

 

It would make me very happy if Ross carried on with his father's New Year's Day Tradition of fresh pork and sauerkraut.  If that happens, I'll feel like I did something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment