Saturday, January 2, 2021

Aunt Rozella's Ring

First order of business:  this will be a post with ABSOLUTELY NO BAD NEWS OF THE MEDICAL/OLD PEOPLE VARIETY...my people are all holding their own...thanks for worrying about us...

*********

My mother's only sister, Rozella,was always my favorite Aunt. She was a a career woman (that was a thing way back then) -- and when I was a kid, she worked at the Princeton Bank. She wore sophisticated clothes, pantyhose, and dressy shoes with matching purses. But that's not why she was my favorite. THAT happened because she was the first adult who actually talked to me. We had real conversations... and she listened to what I said.

I am very fortunate to have lots of nieces and nephews -- and I've modeled my own Aunt-Act after my Aunt Rozella.

After John and I moved to Iowa, and built this house -- Aunt Rozella and Uncle Marion came for our New Year's Day. I would love to have some pictures of those dinners.

So, yesterday, as I was preparing the fresh pork with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut, I remembered how much I loved her.

Aunt Rozella gave me the ring she always wore.

It was black onyx...and I treasured it.

It had a unique, raised, Art Deco setting -- probably from the 1920's.


It was too small for me -- so I had to have the ring sized. But, unfortunately, when I got it back -- it was a tad too big.  After wearing it just a few times -- I lost it.  HOW COULD I BE SO CARELESS? I looked for days...weeks...I searched every nook and cranny of my house, my car, the yard...

I felt terrible...I didn't know how to tell Aunt Rozella that I lost her beautiful, special gift.  The ring I loved so much...the one that belonged to her own mother...ugh...

I always hoped I'd find a ring I could pass off as Aunt Rozella's. I looked all the time..and when eBay started to be a thing, I'd spend hours looking at pictures of black onyx rings.  Nothing was even close. A few years went by...but, even though she may have wondered why I never wore the ring -- she didn't ask about it.

In 1996, I was on an amazing 12-city tour for my book -- Life Is Not A Dress Size.  Aunt Rozella was dying of cancer.  Every-other-weekend, I had a trip -- and, depending on my schedule --  I'd stop at her house either on my way to the airport, or on my way home.

In October, I was going to Pittsburgh, on the last leg of the tour -- when I stopped at her house.  You never know when it will be the last time -- y'know?  

That day, she gave me her beautiful brown leather swing coat.  She never talked about cancer or dying.  Instead, she said, "I want you to have this coat, Rita.  It's the most expensive thing I ever bought for myself -- and I've lost so much weight, I won't be able to wear it this winter."

The next day, I did a seminar for the Pittsburgh ASG.  After the show, my friend, Joyce Perhac took me on a little tour.  We went to the mall (remember malls?)...for a bit of a walk-around before supper.  The mall was hosting an Antique Show that weekend -- with many temporary booths and kiosks.  We were walking and talking.  There was furniture, and china...lots of jewelry...we were in a rush because the mall was going to close at 5:00...and we were hungry...

Yep. You guessed it!!  On our way out of the mall, we passed one last little kiosk, with trays of vintage jewelry -- and I saw Aunt Rozella's ring.  I remembered every detail of that ring -- and this one WAS A TWIN.  I've always thought maybe it was the ACTUAL ring...if only I knew how it got there.  Without hesitation, I paid the man $110. OMG...I was SOO DELIGHTED.   

The next day, Sunday -- I flew home.  Mom told me that Aunt Rozella had died the night before.

She died on Saturday afternoon.  At about 5:00.

2 comments:

  1. I love the ring. Art Deco is a favorite style period in jewelry. How beautiful the ring is. So happy you found a replacement. So happy you had an Aunt Rozella

    ReplyDelete