Monday, January 11, 2021

BEST FLANNEL SCRAP PROJECT EVER...!!

Flannel Microwave Bowls...!!

Last year, at one of our TMBC Library Sew-Ins (remember getting together with friends?)...LP brought a simple project. Making a microwave bowl out of flannel scraps.

We all LOVED those special "sew-in" days...

We'd pack up our Featherweights -- and just SEW THE WHOLE DAY AWAY.

I LOVED my microwave flannel bowl. Really. it is SUCH A GREAT IDEA.

I've modified the "pattern". Cut four pieces of flannel into 10" squares.  And sew a big DART at the center of each side.

Open the dart, and put the two pieces of your bowl together (sandwiching the open darts on the inside)

Sew a 4" circle around the center bottom...then, continue to sew,making the circle bigger as you work you way to the outer edge.
At this point, it starts to look like a bowl....
To finish it off, I serge around the top edge of the bowl.
Of course, for this project, the size really doesn't matter.  Whatever size they turn out is fine with me.  You can make bigger bowls...a 10" square makes a perfect individual soup bowl size.

 

The finished bowls are so practical.  Set your bowl of soup into the flannel bowl, then nuke it...and it's a safe and easy way to handle a HOT bowl of soup.  

This kind of mindless, repetitive sewing is so relaxing -- it almost puts me in a zen state...

My young friend Anne has made over 800 masks...I've made over 50 microwave flannel bowls this winter...AND IT'S KEEPING ME SANE...every bowl turns out to be unique and different....and they make wonderful, practical little gifts.

I'm gonna start carrying them with me in the trunk of my car...This week, I'm going to give one to Jody at the bank...and I'll bet Sharon who works the desk at the YMCA would love one... 

P.S.  My directions suck...but if you really want to make one -- just go to YouTube and search for "Microwave Bowl Cozy"...many people have done nice tutorials on this project. 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial. My daughter literally just texted me asking if I knew how to make microwave bowl cozies and if I could make her some. :) (I, too, have Rita Luck - only I call it Karla Luck. I have no doubt that your Rita Luck will come back to you soon.)

    ReplyDelete