Friday, June 25, 2010

Story of a Quilt..?

Bert and I went day trippin' to a big antique mall in Princeton, Illinois. Thank God I had my camera with me -- otherwise, I'm sure I would have bought this fabulous quilt. It was only $90...

Every square was completely different bits of fabric -- and I love the way this quilter used black and red to bring it together.
f
I'm no expert -- but I think most of the fabric was feedsacks from the 30's...

And I loved the look of that -- but the MOST AMAZING THING ABOUT THIS QUILT -- do you know what I'm going to say??

Yes -- that's right -- it's the decorative stitches. This little stitch took me back to 1963 when my Mom got her brand new Singer sewing machine with all those CAMS -- and all those intricate decorative stitches. Mom put them on EVERYTHING...I took this picture of the back of the quilt so you can see the stitches...

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. There wasn't a single tuck or pull anywhere on this entire quilt. Honestly -- HOW DID THIS QUILTER DO IT?? I would sooooo love to know the story behind this quilt.
id=
For me, that's the great thing about quilts. The story behind the quilt...wondering who made it and why. Was it a gift? Who used it and when? Where did the fabric came from, the inspiration? How they made their choice of patterns...

Y'know -- just having the pictures isn't quite doing it for me. I'm having "didn't buy it" remorse...Maybe I should make another trip to that antique mall, eh??

No comments:

Post a Comment