Monday, June 14, 2010

Congratulations MEMPHIS..!!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE watching the Tony Awards every year. And I've NEVER been as excited as this year -- with "Memphis" being nominated for the Best Musical.



I took this picture at Times Square last December -- as my sister Deb and I were buying half-price tickets at the TKTS booth for "Memphis". Neither one of us knew much about this new musical.



IT WAS AMAZING. Absolutely the BEST musical I've ever seen on Broadway. We both loved it, loved it, loved it. The story was about a white DJ in 1950's Memphis who brought black music to the "middle" of the radio dial...

The story was gripping, the songs were powerful and the dancing was as good as it gets. We gave them a well-deserved standing ovation -- which seemed to go on for ten minutes.



After the show -- Deb and I ended up at Ellen's Stardust Diner -- basking in the glow. I knew tI'd always remember how I felt that night, sitting in that theater...I laughed, I cried...we were standing, dancing, clapping...



That's what theater is supposed to do....when it's good -- it moves you and it makes you think. Memphis was very, very good...



And -- hey -- THANKS, SEATTLE -- for providing the regional theater home so that Memphis could be on Broadway at the EXACT MOMENT I was, too.

CONGRATULATIONS ON WINNING THE TONY AWARD for Best Musical...anybody who had anything to do with Memphis. You should be so proud...and I am grateful...

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Memphis!!!!!! Saw it here in Seattle before it went to Broadway. Knew it would be a winner back then!
    Laura in Puyallup

    ReplyDelete