Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Project Runway Baby Challenge

Project Runway Designers taking care of crying babies?? What does that have to do with being a designer? Ugh. The fake babies were pointless. And I can't imagine a group of people who would be LESS FIT to be parents. WHICH I'M SURE THEY WOULD AGREE WITH...

It's actually a frightening thought.  Boris and Natasha as parents?  I would fear for their children...


Obviously -- this week was a blatant plug for Heidi's new baby line at Babies-R-Us. They just can't resist this product placement crap. The HP tablet, the Lord & Taylor accessory wall, the color of the Lexus dresses...every single challenge is pushing products.   This show crosses the line like no other  and it is wearing very thin for me...

But -- that said -- I loved the idea of making clothes for babies. Since the moment Lillian was born -- I've been altering ready-to-wear clothes with zebra accents. If I was a designer, I would have jumped  at the chance to make a baby-fashionista outfit and add some sophistication.  There were sooo many ways they could do that.  Fabric choice, of course.  Maybe a large scale print -- which you never see in the baby departments.  Zebra stripes?  A "little black dress" would have been fun...maybe a shawl or wrap made out of velvet?  A poncho?  How about a little mod dress with t-shirt fringe??

Without Heidi's guidance -- Christopher was nowhere with his baby girl.  And obviously, the "make something for the mother" twist was completely pointless.  That woman looked horrible in the garish print he did for her -- it was too tight and she HATED it -- but none of that mattered.  The judges picked him the winner for the girl dress that Heidi designed...ugh...

The boy designs were actually better -- which was surprising.  Because little boys clothes are boring.  But maybe it says more about the dismal girl outfits the designers came up with...Dymetri and Sonji (both boy outfits) should have been the winners.

But MELISSA SHOULD HAVE GONE HOME.  Yikes.  Once again -- she was clueless.  She had no skills, no imagination and no plan.  She produced a half-finished awful white stiff denim dress.  OH MY GOD.  It was terrible and wrong on every single level.  It was tight and had a side zipper??  That dress was so bad I thought Melissa should not only go home -- she could be arrested for endangering a child.

Elena's baby blazer with the ruffle was beautifully finished and had a little style.  If Heidi had come up with that idea -- it would have been declared the winning girl garment. 

If you ask me -- Elena mostly went home because she got snarky with Nina Garcia.  And I'm a little embarrassed to admit I enjoyed that.  Nina's eye-rolling, I mean...

***********

Thanks for the encouraging emails.  I'll figure the blogging thing out....and, in the meantime, I might need a break now and then to work on Sew Expo stuff, take a road trip with a friend to upstate New York, and watch the Real Housewives of New Jersey battle rounds...

It's all about priorities, people!!

2 comments:

  1. Zebra prints!!! Why couldn't these people think of fun things to do with baby outfits. I will miss crazy, snarky Elena-so much personality.
    I hope your break isn't too long. Have fun with your Sew Expo stuff. I'm hoping to make it to Puyallup for Sew Expo this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently -- it will only be an occasional now-and-then blogging break. Last night I stayed up late and wrote six future posts...so I'm coming along...

    SEE YOU AT EXPO, Judy!!

    ReplyDelete