Saturday, October 6, 2012

Ephrata's Best Dishes

Michael did a wonderful job of presenting the history of the Ephrata Cloisters. I always think it is remarkable that places like this are still being maintained -- and you can tour them ANY TIME YOU WANT...
 
 
Here's a picture of one of the rooms a sister would have lived in. The bed is a 15-inch wide wooden plank attached to the wall. The pillow is a block of wood.   As Michael was explaining the severe conditions of 200 years ago, I said, "it's not all that different from flying DELTÄ"...
 
 
The Cloister Restaurant is right across the street. And we figured we could use a little snack before we went our respective ways...
I love the diners they have back East. The long bar with stools...the booths along the window wall.  The daily blue plate specials...it seemed like my kind of a place...
  AND IT WAS!! Michael had highly recommended their seasonal special, "corn pie". WHAT? How can there be such a thing and a girl born and raised in Iowa never yeard of it? CORN PIE YOU SAY??
 

HOLY COW. It was DELICIOUS. As I'm looking at this picture, I'm tasting it all over again. They serve it warm. They use fresh sweet corn. And it must be thickened with a white sauce. Maybe cornstarch. It's served with a sliced hard boiled egg. And a small glass of milk. I AM IN LOVE... CORN PIE is going to be my new best thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment