Saturday, February 6, 2021

Rita's Vintage Buffet Project: Chapter 6

First of all -- THANK GOD I did that "test" piece of wood. I applied one coat of the water-base varnish, and the pink paint ran like crazy...ugh. 

So, to save the geometric paint job I'd spent three days on -- I applied a coat of clear spray varnish.  (which is NOT water base)...and that seemed to seal everything.

THEN, two days later, I applied 3 coats of water-base varnish...Here's the wonderful thing about this project. I'M LEARNING NEW THINGS all the time!!

And, at my age -- who are we kidding?  That is damn near a miracle. 

Now -- moving on to my ZEBRA drawer. I AM SO EXCITED. Of course, I could paint the zebra on the drawer...but I have tried to paint zebra on many things (as you well know) -- and I'm never particularly happy with the finished job.

So, I decided I would DECOUPAGE fabric onto the drawer. I went to YouTube to check out some videos...

I had my Mod Podge....

And the drawer was prepped and ready to go.  Painted with three coats of primer...So, I painted a coat of Mod Podge. Then -- here's the magic -- instead of laying the fabric into the wet Mod Podge...and working to squeeze out all the air bubbles....I let the Mod Podge dry completely..overnight.



THEN, the next day, I laid the zebra fabric on top of the dry mod podged drawer...used some parchment paper, and USED A HOT DRY IRON to reactivate the Mod Podge...

THIS WAS SO SLICK...I couldn't believe how easy it was to do.  AND there were no bubbles at all...the zebra fabric was completely smooth, and perfect adhered. The piece of zebra fabric was about 2 inches bigger than the drawer...and YouTube gave me the PERFECT way to trim off the excess fabric...

SANDPAPER...!! Wow. Sooo much easier than trying to use a scissors or an exacto knife.  After I sanded off the excess fabric -- I had a perfect clean crisp edge.
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS??
Using my new blue applicator, I put on a top coat of Mod Podge...

No comments:

Post a Comment