Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Our BIG MOVE

John and I built this house 40 years ago...and we've had a very good run here. But that was THEN...and this is NOW.



It only took one snow storm for me to realize I'm gonna be 72 years old -- and I SHOULD NOT BE SHOVELING SNOW. What happens to John if I have a heart attack or slip on the ice and break something??
 
Oh, yeah....we need to move into town.
 
It is sad to be leaving -- but I'm okay.  Mostly -- I'm too busy to get depressed.  For starters -- I had to figure out our finances.  And, based on that -- what our options are.  I've had meetings with lawyers, bankers and financial advisors. 
 
Thankfully, last year, I started the ball rolling by setting up a trust, putting our property, the stock accounts, etc....into that trust.  So, we have current wills, and POA's...and all of that is coming into play now.

Because John was always a saver -- I was able to buy a Co-op at the Bettendorf Suites...which is under construction.  We probably won't move until next winter...ugh...but that gives me plenty of time to CLEAR OUT THIS HOUSE.  And, as you can imagine -- I'M GONNA NEED THAT TIME.

Here's their Facebook page:


I've received emails from many of you who are in a similar situation.  Hey -- getting older SUCKS. And everybody has their own life circumstance.  As we age, it's all about the BIG THREE F'S...Friends, Family, and Finances -- they all comeinto play.  
 
Life is like farming...(another "F")  and if the "harvest" is our old age....it is totally dependent on the seeds we planted in our youth. 

John was always a saver.  He worked hard, put in lots of overtime...and because of that -- we are able to buy a share in the Suites of Bettendorf -- a new senior co-op complex being built 20 minutes from our country home. 
 
The developer of the Suites of Bettendorf has several other "co-op" complexes in Iowa. (Des Moines, Altoona, Coralville). The concept is that you are purchasing a "share" of the entire property...unlike a Condo, where you just own your apartment. There are 64 units, with various floor plans. It's situated in the middle of town, but has a wooded area on one side, and a small pond.
 
It comes with on-site property management, an underground parking garage, an exercise room, optional gardening plots (I signed up for one, just in case), and they have a woodworking shop in the basement, a large room for gatherings, a clubhouse with a fireplace in the lobby, two hotel rooms on the second floor if you have overnight guests and don't want them sleeping in your apartment...
 
Everything is designed for us to "age in place" -- which means, no stairs, grab bars in the showers, tall toilets, etc. The floorplan I selected is the Locust -- it's 1400 s.f., with two bedrooms and a den. I am loving it.I look at it every single day, planning where all the furniture will go. What pieces I want to keep -- and what new stuff I want to buy....where my FANCY VINTAGE BUFFET will go...


I chose a ground-level unit -- so Lilly and Warren can walk directly into our home -- without entering the main lobby or using any public areas. Frankie was also a consideration. I'm happy to be a responsible dog owner and pick up his poop -- but I want to be able to just walk out my door (no hallways or elevators).


 

1 comment:

  1. That is so much like our Wesley Homes senior communities, except it also has a wing for those who need 24 hour care. We have soooooooooo many senior complexes in Puyallup. I can think of at least six within 10 minutes of my house, and you know I live less than five minutes from the fair (which means three minutes from the hospital). Enjoy planning your new house!

    ReplyDelete