Monday, February 22, 2021

Potatoes, Stewed Tomatoes and Cheese

Every since John's disastrous car ride across the State of Iowa -- Ross has been coming out for supper one night during the week. It's nice to have somebody to cook for...cuz most days, John is content with a salad or maybe a bowl of cereal... 

When I make meatloaf, I do the mini-loaves...cuz I like the crusty edges.  And they freeze well, too.

This was an experiment.  A variation on Kathy Keefer's mashed potatoes with stewed tomatoes*...
I par-boiled four potatoes, drained then cubed them.

I combined the cooked potatoes with about half a can of salsa...

I topped the whole show with a bunch of grated cheese...and popped it into a hot oven for about 30 minutes.


+++++++

*  That night, Ross told a story about the time he was living with Keefer's.  Kathy made mashed potatoes with stewed tomatoes for a meal, which Ross had never had before.  While sitting out on their big porch, Denny told Ross that his Mom made this dish all the time when he was a kid.  "That's when you know you're poor, Ross, when you're eating stewed tomatoes instead of meat gravy."

I'm telling you, Kathy -- even after all these years -- Ross does a GREAT imitation of Denny!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment