Thursday, July 30, 2020

Summer Food Favorites

The best thing about summer, of course, is the fresh produce.

Last week, we enjoyed our first sweetcorn...and there is NOTHING BETTER THAN IOWA SWEETCORN.

I spent an entire day cleaning a BUSHEL of basil leaves to make fresh pesto.

And I also have a bounty of tomatoes and green beans...

So -- it must be time to make Helen's Italian Potato Salad!
This is a completely different take on potato salad from the one I grew up with...
But it's the one I get HUNGRY FOR...and there really isn't an actual recipe.
My mother-in-law, Helen Farro, was an excellent cook. And this potato salad was different every time she made it -- because she simply used whatever she had on hand at that time.  

But here's my own version --consider it an INSPIRATION...and then, make it your own!!

1 cup cubed boiled potatoes
1 cup cooked green beans (cut into 1: pieces)
4 hard boiled eggs (chopped)
2 ripe tomatoes (chopped)
4 stalks of celery (chopped)
black olives
green olives
green onions
fresh basil leaves or parsley...

Mix everything together...then, dress it with your favorite Italian dressing.  (I use olive oil, balsamic vinegar, with oregano and garlic powder).

Like all good potato salads -- it's better the next day.

Another summer favorite -- FRENCH ONION SOUP!! 

My brother-in-law, Dean, grows the most amazing sweet onions...and he gave me a bushel of them

I sliced them, took my time cooking them down...slowly, so they would caramelize.., then, I added some beef soup base and water...

I scooped it into an oven proof bowl -- added some crusty bruschetta and LOTS of cheese...

I popped it under the broiler to get everything all melty and wonderful...




So - all this good food -- it must be time to HAVE A PARTY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment