Friday, July 17, 2020

Lemon-o-Ganza

I'm not going to dwell on this == but John has been having more memory problems. The dementia is back -- and two doctors have refused to give him a prescription for antibiotics -- because there is no sign of an infection. ugh.

Hey -- life goes on. He is in no pain...and I'm grateful for that.

But the scope of his life is getting smaller and quieter....he watches a lot of television.  Mostly the Lone Ranger and Dr. Pol.

He drives himself to the Corner Market most mornings for breakfast with his friends. On Saturday a few weeks ago, I asked him to bring home two lemons. (Lilly was going to make her first Lemon Icebox Pie.)

Instead -- he brought home two BAGS of lemons. (30 lemons in total).

Wow.

My Saturdays usually start out by cooking a pound of bacon...
I use a half-sheet pan -- and then, BAKE the bacon in the oven. 400 degrees for about 20 minutes...Lilly likes her bacon extra crispy...so sometimes, it takes an extra ten minutes.
Weather permitting, breakfast is almost always on the porch...and that's what the kids and I were doing when John walked into the house with 30 lemons...
As soon as I realized what was happening, I said to the kids, "Wow. Today we get to live out an actual cliche...."

Lilly didn't even hesitate..."when life hands you lemons -- make lemonade..."

Yep.
I set the kids up with two of my vintage Foley juicers...and they got busy juicing lemons...
And juicing lemons...
We DID make our first lemon icebox pie...(we've made three of them so far this summer)
We also made actual lemonade, microwave lemon curd (delicious, Deena!), lemon cookies (using a cake mix), the icebox lemon pie, and tabbouleh salad...we used A LOT OF LEMONS...

Here's LP's recipe for lemon ice-box pie...by far the EASIEST thing made that day:

Cream together an 8 ounce brick of cream cheese...and one small can of sweetened condensed milk. Add 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice. Pour into a 9" graham cracker crust. Refrigerate overnight.

HEAVEN...

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting the recipe! I googled lemon ice-box pie after your reference to it the other day and the recipes looked delicious but time consuming. This one sounds both delicious and easy. :) Also - did I miss the basement reveal pics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG...I've been so busy this month, I completely forgot to do that!! Comin' at ya...thanks, Karlalala.

      Delete
  2. I love anything lemon, so a surplus of lemons might be fun! The pie looks fabulous, Going to have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will NOT regret it, Carol. It reminds me of key lime pie...except -- well, it's LEMON...and we love it. Lilly makes it with no help whatsoever from me...it's the PERFECT kid baking project.

      Delete