Saturday, July 25, 2020

Bad Day -- Great NEW GAME..

Ya'll know NOT EVERY DAY IS A WINNER. And, on this blog (as in every Facebook post you have ever read) -- the stories I choose to tell have been heavily edited.

Last Saturday, I had a delightful day trip planned. I was taking Lilly and Warren to LaSalle, Illinois -- and I had purchased tickets for a ride on the I and M Canal Boat. Actually pulled by mules -- I was sure this would be the highlight of 2020 Grandma Camp!

You know what they say about best laid plans...and all that...

First of all -- the weather sucked. It was hot and humid. After driving for almost two hours, we arrived at the boat dock -- only to be told the ride was canceled. (too hot and dangerous for the mules). Sorry about that...

In an effort to pull victory from the jaws of defeat -- I drove to the fabulous, nearby Starved Rock State Park. Hey -- this Grandma's got some game....This will be a wonderful Plan B...

Nope. Not gonna happen.

For one thing, Illinois requires that everybody wears facemasks when they are inside...EVERYBODY. Warren was fine with that...Lilly was not.

I kept having to say, "..Lilly...pull your mask up."

And this constant friction was putting both of us in a testy mood...
Lilly -- pull your mask up...

The original log lodge is STUNNING...and I thought we could sit in the lobby and play a game.  But, can you see Lilly rolling her eyes here?....ugh...
Then, I thought if we went into the restaurant, we could order some apps and play a game...
That's when the kids started arguing over a green crayon. Oh, yeah...this is NOT GOING WELL...
The waitress brought some perfectly good food to our table...but the kids were too focused on Crayon Wars...and they did not eat a bite.

Meanwhile, GRANDMA was having a meltdown. Seriously. I put my sunglasses on so the waitress couldn't see I was about to cry as I asked for our check.

We walked away from $30 worth of untouched food and drinks...I can say that's something I've never done in my life. Ugh.

Dreading the two hour drive home...

We stopped at the Rest Area -- and got out of the car to stretch our legs.  THAT's when we got out our new game. 
Taco, Cat, Goat, Cheese, Pizza...a gift from our friend Nancy Harp.
Unfortunately -- it was very windy that day, at that rest area -- and the cards kept blowing away before we could slap them. But we were able to play enough to see that THIS WAS GOING TO BE FUN..

So, before going back to my house -- we stopped at one of our favorite places -- Brother's Restaurant in Port Byron, Illinois. This place is about 15 minutes from my house...and one of John's favorite breakfast joints...
They also do some kick-ass ice cream sundaes...!!
It was late afternoon -- and the place was almost empty. We ALL LOVED THIS GAME...and Lilly and Warren caught on way before me...which, of course, they loved...
YOU SAVED THE DAY, NANCY...!! I hope the ice cream sundaes and rousing, fun game will be what they remember about that day...

2 comments:

  1. Always glad when a sucky day ends on a positive note. Lilly should be thankful she doesn't live here. If it has four walls and isn't your house, you have to wear a mask. However, after a couple days, it isn't hard to get used to wearing one....especially if it's customized. We are getting a collection. Jim now has Seahawks, Snoopy, Masonic ones. And he discovered the trick of attaching the mask to a lanyard (or senior lady eyeglasses chain). My mask has lucky Asian cats on it. Considering options for an autumn mask. Yep, being in a higher zone area, I'm not anticipating this ending soon. I even made matching masks for all my coworkers for our Hallmark ornament premiere event. My brother, who originally refused to wear a mask, now has a sizable collection of unique ones.

    ReplyDelete