Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Wall of Redwork

My brother Calvin and his wife Jeanne came to my house for Thanksgiving.
This is my best picture of them..sorry...
Anyway, during the meal, Rhonda and I were talking about "The Art of Homemaking" Exhibit. Jeanne said, "I'd be happy to help."

Looking back,  I'm sure that was her Pretty Woman moment...you know the one...where, after the fact, she says...BIG MISTAKE....H.U.G.E....

After we carried BUSHELS AND BINS to the conference room on the second floor -- we set up two ironing stations.

AND THE FOUR OF US WENT TO WORK...Linda Phillips took a basket and went to the main room to work on the "Featherweight" display case...and, also, the  "Spooners and Toast racks"..

Rhonda got busy hanging the 7-Days-a-Week wall...

Jeanne was willing to help, but reluctant to actually "hang" anything -- so she started to iron things...God knows, we had a BIG NEED for that...

Last month, when  I started sorting this enormous collection, I was surprised to find so many beautiful examples of Redwork bedding.  These pieces were absolutely stunning.

Enormous 30" ruffled pillow shams...and a flat sham with embroidered peacocks...

Unfortunately, many of the pieces were in very poor condition, so I decided to wash them.  I am not a textile expert (and if you are -- congratulations -- but please DO NOT WRITE TO YELL AT ME.)

With my fingers crossed -- I soaked them in OxyClean overnight...then gave them a basic washing with a double rinse.

I took advantage of a bright, sunny day and hung them out on the line to dry. By the time we got to the library -- they desperately needed to be ironed.

Jeanne went right to work....I think there were 18 pieces in all....

You know what a sucker I am for WORDS on anything...
Apparently, even words in German appeal to me...
The morning shadows ruined these photos -- but I am telling you -- the embroidery was extraordinary...
The Redwork took up the longest wall...
This wall was stunning.
"A Morning Dip"
Here's the remarkable thing...
Many of these pieces were made out of sugar sacks. You could faintly see the words...and the fabric was so thin, but the stitches were so fine...the embroidery really was incredible.
AFTER Jeanne did all that ironing -- I pointed her to the LONGEST wall in the library and said -- "that's where your Redwork display goes, Jeanne..."

Although she objected at first...and wanted to STAY at her ironing board post -- I assured her there was no WRONG way to do it.

As it turns out -- the girl is an artist at heart!! 




2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! All that redwork - and so beautifully sewn. I opened each picture here to get a closer look at every sewn piece. Thank you for documenting this for all of us too far away to visit your display.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY PLEASURE...and it so wonderful to share all these beautiful works of art...

    ReplyDelete