Monday, December 2, 2019

I AM THE DUMPLING MASTER!!



Okay,  I'm sorry.   I'm having some computer problems -- so I can't load up NEW photos -- and posting on the blog this week is gonna be hit or miss...

**********

The thing is -- Thanksgiving weekend was CRAZY....AND, then, I decided to "Curate" a giant Art of Homemaking Exhibit...

WHAT WAS I THINKING??

So -- this post is a rerun...but right at this moment, I'm happy to even be able to do that!!

*************

From November 2017:

As far as I'm concerned, one of the reasons a person WANTS to cook a turkey is so you can have leftovers...those delicious sandwiches...and -- then -- SOUP...

But, most of all -- DUMPLINGS...oh, my...they are SO DELICIOUS.

Last month, we had a sewing party at my sister Deena's house, and she was going to "try to make dumplings" for the first time.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??  I am the dumpling master!!  So, we had a "dumpling demo" before our sewing party.

After I die -- the people I loved will remember two things I cooked with great fondness. First of all -- my homemade pesto. It is perfection.

The second thing will be my dumplings. After years of hit and miss -- I GOT THOSE SUCKERS DOWN PAT...and it's my #1 winter comfort food...
I am a BIG FAN of specialties -- whether it's food or sewing...

In both cases -- the food is simple, simple, simple. The TECHNIQUE is way more important than the RECIPE.

Dumplings recipe: (I always make a double batch)

1 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tbl oil
*******************
Mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl with a fork. Make a well in the center and add the milk and oil all at once. Mix it up with the fork until the wet is incorporated. (it will be thick -- don't overmix it).

COVER WITH A TOWEL AND LET IT STAND FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES. This makes a HUGE difference in your dumplings. They will start to rise in the bowl and get very tender. You cannot skip this step...trust me...

I often start with homemade soup.  I'll usually get three big bags of soup out of the Thanksgiving turkey. I put the soup in the freezer -- a bag of soup is a wonderful go-to meal to have. Ten minutes to thaw in the micro -- and you're in business.

The pan you use is very important. It should have a heavy bottom (you will not be able to stir the stew for at least 15 minutes) and a tight fitting lid. A glass lid is best -- because you can WATCH the dumplings steam up...

Use a flour slurry to turn your soup into a stew.  The stew should be just simmering -- not a rolling boil. If you accidentally get it too hot -- add a few ice cubes. Drop the dumplings into the soup, one spoon at a time (walnut-sized).  DO NOT CROWD the dumplings.

Cover the pot and SIMMER FOR 15 minutes. DO NOT LIFT THE LID during that time...

Here's the most important point. After your dumplings are cooked -- IMMEDIATELY REMOVE THEM FROM THE STEW. I use a large meat fork to lift them out of the pan -- on to a separate platter. If you leave them sit in the stew -- as they start to cool they will absorb the liquid and get very dense and heavy. You want the inside to stay dry and fluffy...

***************

We ate the dumplings before I could take a picture.  But, I'm telling you -- THEY WERE PERFECTION.  Light and fluffy -- completely dry in the middle.




No comments:

Post a Comment