Monday, September 14, 2009

Rita's Jeans Challenge Details

There were several important elements in my recycled jeans project.

I used two of my "signature" moves.



#1: t-shirt fringe has long been an important part of my very own personal "style statement". You've seen it on my porch furniture, Expo fans know I use t-shirt fringe at the bottom of pants legs, I wear a new fringe outfit every year. The fringe principal is so EASY. The important thing to know is that you are always working with a long UNFRINGED piece of t-shirt fabric. it's easy to sew into any seam, or along any edge. If you "fold" the piece lenthwise, you end up with a double layer of fringe.



For these jeans, I opened the outside seams. Then, I laid a 4" piece of folded t-shirt fabric into the seam before I sewed it back up. (for fringe, the folded edge is sewn into the seam) The very last step is to simply "cut the fringe".


#2: Faux Piping. In this case, I used Zebra stripes to create the faux piping down the left leg of the jeans. Altho it starts out the same -- a 2-4" piece of knit fabric, cut with a rotary cutter. The difference is, for "faux piping" -- you sew the CUT edges into the seam...

As it turns out -- embellishing a pair of blue jeans is a lot like doing any other kind of artwork. The hard part is knowing when you are "DONE"...

No comments:

Post a Comment