Saturday, September 12, 2009

Project Runway -- Week 4

The big challenge for this episode is?? "Make your model a garment she'll look good in at an industry event."

Really? How much effort went into thinking up that challenge? Isn't that like telling a teenager to sleep late? Or asking a baker to make his best cake? BIG DEAL!! Where's the challenge, Heidi??

Okay. I'm over it. In alphabetical order, here's my take on it:

Althea -- She called her black jacket a "cigarette" jacket (good thing she didn't have to spell it, eh?). Tim Gunn corrected her by calling it a "SMOKING jacket" -- which still didn't make any sense whatsoever. Wha?? It was a boring little jacket with a grey shell and short black bubble skirt with odd pleat detail at the waistband. I didn't get it. The skirt was way too short, the sleeves were too tight, and the whole outfit had no memorable detail at all. The judges loved it -- and she was the winner. That says more about the judges than the design -- and I have an opinion about that, too...(surprise)

Carol -- A purple/black dress. I thought the detail was wonderful -- loved the flat pleating she did on the top. It was asymmetrical, which I enjoyed, her choice of fabrics was spot-on, and I am always impressed that her clothes FIT the model beautifully.

Christopher -- I was worried about his choice of bright, bold apple green satin fabric. They would have gigged Qristyl for choosing fabric that brightly colored. But Christopher got away with not even a comment. His stand-up-pleating detail was really interesting, especially on the bodice --and he used black accents to simmer the color down.

Epperson -- He was going for "romantic punk" -- and I think he got there. The judges obviously loved it -- he finished #2 tonight. It was a very form fitting brown stretchy fabric, with torn pieces of hand-dyed lace layered on the front -- and a deliberately tangled looking back to the dress. Although it was too brown to appeal to me on any level -- the judges thought it was interesting. However --Epperson had his usual problems with fit, and Heidi commented about the model's "boobs" not being in the right place.

Gordana -- She made a beige dress with front braiding/weaving detail that I could never quite figure out. It was a beautiful dress, with great fit and lots of personality. It draped beautifully, and the finishing details looked exquisite. Unfortunately, her model, Tara, has the personality of a turnip and that's how she walked the runway. Ugh...CHANGE MODELS, GORDANA -- this girl is killing you...

Irina -- I'll have to watch the show at least three more times before I can tell you what I thought of Irina's dress. They didn't feature her at all in the show -- and in the actual style show, Irina's dress was once down the runway -- faster than a drive-by shooting. I think I LIKED the fact that she used a print. Didn't she? Was pink and gray paisley?....see what I mean? Somebody in production doesn't like you, Irina -- maybe you need to do a little more sucking up with the people who are editing you OUT of the show.

Johnny -- It was a short purple satin dress with an actual satin bow at the waistline. Huh? I had an Ed McMahon moment...only in my head, I was hearing it as a question mark.."Wheeeeres Johnny???" I was stunned he could do something so completely boring and middle of the road. I almost fell asleep before his model made it to the end of the runway.

Logan -- Logan actually LISTENED to his model, Koji, and ended up making a 1987 Prom Dress. With blue smurf (his word) fabric and black lace overlay. I was thinking maybe he didn't really sew it -- he just ran to the nearby Goodwill Store and plucked it off the rack. But, no, he did fess up to "designing it" himself. Ugh. OH MY GOD. Earth to Logan -- KOJI has a child she actually NAMED "Cree Sequoia". Enough said...you're lucky to still be alive, buddy. Then -- Koji dissed him by NOT wearing the sucky dress to the "industry event" -- yet -- HE STILL PICKED HER???

Louise/Kenly -- I LOVED this dress. And I don't usually like anything black -- I think the color itself is a big cop-out. But Louise put her model (Fatma -- the one who is crushing on Logan) in a stunning short dress with incredible big stand-up ruffles on the bodice, that came up and framed her face. It was a beautiful dress, beautifully finished, and nobody seemed to notice. Kenley -- I mean Louise -- you were robbed.

Nicholas -- He put his model in a gray dress with white trim -- and it was, without a doubt, the WORST fit of the night. Ugh. Celine looked terrible in it -- the sides gaped so much, I was grateful the girl had no boobs. Again, I'm asking -- WHERE IS MICHAEL KORS when you need him?? I'm thinking MICHAEL would've noticed the horrendous fit...

Qrystil -- She started off making a black/brown/ruched dress for her model Valerie. Tim Gunn hated it -- so she started over from scratch. The no-personality-at-all black dress she came up with was clearly to try to please the JUDGES -- it didn't have a thing to do with her own design point of view. When she slapped a big bow up on the one shoulder -- she signed her own death warrant. Valerie hated it so much -- she wouldn't wear it to the "industry event". Bye-bye Qrystil and soooo long Valerie. The lethal black bow got you both...

Ramon -- Because of last week's shocking triumph of green neoprene -- Ramon has immunity this week. Which is what gave him the nerve, I'm sure, to create a bright blue dress with a bow as big as a Buick. It got very little comment from the judges -- and Ramon should be grateful for that.

Shirin -- No question, Shirin has the best sewing skills in the competition. For this challenge, she made her model a stunning blue dress with a very intricate woven back that looked impeccable. She also had a classy blue bow (beautiful scale, people!) on the one side of the neckline -- edged with some kind of embellishment. Was that a bejeweler?? What do you think? Again, they gave very short shrift to her garment -- so I'll have to watch again to see more details. I thought it fit the model GREAT..and she would have been one of my top pics. WAY before Althea or Epperson. Maybe they're just trying to make it a "competition"...??

*******************
My biggest problem with Episode #4?? Hey -- Heidi -- What happened to MICHAEL KORS AND NINA GARCIA?? The no-name judges you had for this episode were a deadly boring lot. Once one of them expressed an "opinion" -- everybody else nodded their head in agreement. I don't know who they are -- and I don't care!! I'm sure it's expensive to fly Michael & Nina back and forth from New York City -- but maybe you should have thought about that before you MOVED THE SHOW TO LOS ANGELES!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment